1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Praise for Marantz SR5400 and questions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by matblack, Feb 25, 2005.

Tags:
  1. matblack

matblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I just wanted to state how stuned I am with the peformance of my new SR5400 vs my old SR4200.

The build quality is definatly better than the SR4200 and the shear weight of the unit is testament to the internal changes.

I wasn't expecting to notice any change apart from the unit being silver rather than black but I was blow away by the increase in the soundstage on Almost Famous and the directional clarity from Saving Private Ryan.

Music sparkles on the Amp as well and doesn't feel raw to my ears.

One thing I am confused with is the variety of effects which can be applied to a stereo source. I have Sky going in to the unit via twin RCA and I can't work out what sounds best or what I should be using. Currently CCII Movie is winning at the moment but I'd like to know what other people use or if they just stick to stereo.

I'm running Q30s as fronts a Q95c and some Coda rears but no centre rear yet. The extra punch of the SR5400 definatly seems to push the 4Ohm centre and 6Ohm fronts better than the older unit

Cheers

MB