1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Practical HiFi AV Pearls of Wisdom

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by greeny, Feb 12, 2002.

1. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was attending a subwoofer demo yesterday at Practical Hi fi in Manchester.
    After setting up (using a 3802) and listening for a while I asked them to set all speakers to 'small', (fronts were some dynaudio floor standers that the had set to 'large'). Conversation goes something like this:

Him: "Can't do that sir as it will blow up the front speakers"
    Me : "I beg your pardon!!!"
    Him: "The front speakers will not be getting enough current if you set them to small, and that will blow them up"
    Me : "Well that is the first set of speakers I've heard of that will blow up through getting too little current"
    Him: "It's because they are 4 ohmn speakers"
    Me : "I beg you pardon!!!"
    Him: "If you don't put the whole frequency range into 4 ohmn speakers they will blow up"

Needless to say I suspected he didn't know what he was talking about, and after much assurance by me that if would'nt blow up the speakers the conversation continued:

Him: "Anyway if you set the speakers to small you will lose the bass that would have gone to them"
    Me: "No, that Bass is directed to the subwoofer, and can give a better sound"
    Him: "No, its not, I've been demoing the 3802 for a while so I what I'm talking about"
    Me: "Well I suggest you read the manual before you do any more"

At this point things got a bit acrimonious, he stormed out slamming the door and had a word with his boss/colleague, who subsequently supported everthing he was saying.

All this on top of the fact that the shop didn't even have the equipment that I had specifically arranged to have demoed (REL Q200 and Q400). Having taken the day off and spent an hour on the train I was none too pleased.

Now forgive me if I'm wrong but I thought Practical Hifi had a reasonable reputation, needless to say, after this fiasco they will not be getting my custom.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Bloody Hell!! What a total muppet!!

Blowing up the speakers if theyre set to SMALL is the biggest load of crap I´ve ever heard!!

Oh no!! Whats that bang??..........all my speakers have just been destroyed as they were set to SMALL!!!!:D

Its truly frightening the toss some of these "experts" come out with.:rolleyes:

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Unfortunately you are not alone in having bad experiences from Practical hifi, second only to Sevenoakes:D

If they have idiots like this they are best avoided.

4. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately Practical and Sevenoaks seem to be the most widespread stockists of REL gear.

I think i'll be seeking out a local independant.

Any recommendations in South Manchester/North Derbyshire Area anyone??

5. Markster

Markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    greeny let me know how you get on finding a supplier.
    I too am looking for a REL. Stockist seemed to be limited.

6. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    How did you manage to not ask this question:

"Just out of interest, have you ever worked in Comet, Currys or Dixons?"

No doubt he subscribes to "Essential Home Cinema" magazine!

For some reason, your experience reminds me of a recent trip to a Nissan dealer when a middle-aged salesman pointed out to me how there was absolutely no benefit or need for cruise control as the vehicle in question had a six speed gearbox!

I should have said "What the fudge are you on about you old fool" but being a polite chap, I just thought it instead, leaving him happy in his illogical world.

Matt.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Don't even ask about my dealings with Practical Hifi.

I must say I've found Sevenoaks in Preston to be rather helpful and full of useful info. Just ask for Ian or Paul (it may be a bit out of your way though).

Otherwise Super Fi (I think) across the road seem okay.

Hope this helps,

Damian:D

9. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL @Matt F :D

Yes I think car dealers have several things in common with HiFi dealers. The assumption that they (being the experts) are the font of all hifi/car related knowledge being one.

10. JPC

JPC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THEY WASNT AT ALL PRACTICAL!........ I would say.

JC

11. RC

RC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found Dooley's on the internet and as I was in the UK at Christmas, not too far from there, I went for a demo. Err, not recommended. It's basically a TV repair shop that sells a bit of hifi on the quiet. No demoing facilites and that horrible yellow plastic over the windows to stop the sunlight damaging the kit that must stay on their shelves for too long.

12. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I have been to Dooleys as they are on the REL official dealers list. They were very much as you described. In fact they had no REL subwoofers in stock at all.
    But "if you know what you want I can order one for you" they kindly offered.

Cheers mate!!

13. toastyhamster

toastyhamster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can't say I'm a Superfi fan, not of their Leeds centre branch anyway. Despite going in and requesting information about the Soundstyle range of AV Stands they were unable to help, and weren't even able to get me a brochure if I came back a week later. What's going on? How are they going to sell any of the kit if they can't give you any info?
    Hifibitz got the order and I was very happy with their service!

14. Brendon

Brendon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got to concur with Damian here - just spent a couple of hours in Sevenoaks Preston with Paul demoing a set of higher end speakers.

Found both him and other staff in the Preston Sevenoaks to be really helpful, quite well informed and unpushy. (Got left alone with the gear and a set of my discs to form my own opinion of the gear).

Haven't had any problems with Practical here in Blackpool either for that matter, can't vouch for their other stores though.

Cheers,

Bren

15. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    The service must vary from shop to shop, i use the Sheffield branch, and always deal with Andy. Great advice, very knowledgable, and talk to you rather than lecture you!

Great range of kit too, and its properly set up.

16. Beddie

Beddie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Some Sevenoaks dealers are franchises, so they are likely to be run by hi-fi enthusiasts, not "retail managers", and you are likely to get a good service from them.