Practical Driving Test

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by KJK1LL3R, Jun 8, 2008.

1. KJK1LL3R

KJK1LL3R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What is the best dvd I could get to help me with my practical driving test? I have already passed my theory test and now need help with my practical! Thanks!

2. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    err isn't the dvd for the theory test.

for the practical test a computer screen won't help you with car control too much. get behind the wheel. and put enough hours in.
    when you pass do the pass plus as soon as you can (it will help improve your skills and helps with insurance costs).

after a few months - or sooner if you can afford it - get some more advanced lessons, they will open your eyes.

some counties do a very cheap (40 or 50 quid) set of evening sessions based on Roadcraft (the police system of car control). very cheap and well worth doing.

if you have 500 or 600 hundred quid book a one on one six hour session with an expolice instructor. That will REALLY open your eyes and it may save your life and the lives of others. It will also save wear and tear on your car - probably pays for itself for a new driver on their first car.
    A lot of new drivers 'scrub' more than that off the value of their first car through mishaps. some even scrub the whole car.
    can't recommend this enough, the techniques taught there saved me from two situations (caused by oncoming vehicles I should say) that would have had both me and the car in the shop for repairs if I hadn't been using the techniques taught in these sessions. you car will thank you by wearing out less, your passengers will thank you for the smoothness of the ride and you will get to your destination quicker and safer. It is a clear win and excellent value IMHO.

3. Hitby

Hitby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +546
    If you've not taken lessons yet I did a week intensive course with BSM. iirc it was 20 hours over five days with the test on the Saturday morning, cost about £480 and I passed first time. Couldn't recommend it enough

4. KJK1LL3R

KJK1LL3R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As I live in Northern Ireland, how would I go about getting into these driving courses which you guys speak of? Thanks!

5. Hitby

Hitby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +546
    Don't know if BSM operate in Northern Ireland but if they do just give them a ring - or ring whoever the main driving school is over there - I came across a few when I was looking, some were residential for a little more but I just got picked up at home every day. Good luck matey

6. robertharper200

robertharper200
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BSM aren't always the best. The instructors are told not too do too much driving as it will increase the mileage and devalue the cars. I think you would be better with recommendations from friends who thought instructors were good. If your near Brighton I can recommend someone?

7. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41,693
    He's in Northern Ireland

Dave

8. waf-tastic

waf-tastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    When I was learning to drive, I took 8 lessons, then bought a car and drove in to Uni for a few months (10 miles into Leeds and back in the rush hour) with my housemates. Gave me much better road sense and more awareness in general of other drivers (the number of times I wondered how some of them had got a license!). I then took a few more lessons (to make sure I unlearned any bad habits!), took my test and passed first time. Real driving on a variety of roads in real traffic is so much more helpful than an hours lesson.

9. davidwatsonok

davidwatsonok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Get a copy of DSA Driving Essentials...

[​IMG]

This expands everything covered in the Highway Code and is the basis of the current practical driving test. I advise all my learners to get a copy of this and read it through, but none ever do as it takes time and effort. It costs IRO £12, so about 1/2 and hour of instructor time, so if it saves you even just 1/2 an hour then it's paid for itself. In truth, if you understand what you're reading it will save you much more as otherwise we have to tell you it all, slowly, and expensively. You may even find a copy on eBay for less, and afterwards you can sell it on or pass it on to family/friends to help them. Practice and experience is the key to passing the test, so any time you can get with family or whoever will help, but regular lessons from an instructor will keep bad habits at bay and give the disciplined driving style preferred. It's also recommended not to learn the reversing manoeuvres in different cars, so do those only in the car you anticipate you will be taking your test in to avoid confusing reference points.