1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Practical advice on buying Canon 20D + 16-35mm anyone?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by SnowCat, Apr 29, 2005.

1. SnowCat

SnowCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm going to buy Canon 20D and 16-35 lens next month. Can anyone give me a practical advice how can I find the best deal in UK? :) The cheapest price for 20D is at pixmania, but I want to buy jessops techsure warranty, so I probably buy the camera from Jessops at Hammersmith, London. The question is - is it possible to ask them to match the Pixmania's price (there is a pixmania outlet on fulham road which is less than a mile away)?

And for the 16-35 lens... The cheapest I can find is at 7days - 949. Is it possible to buy it cheaper in UK?

Thanks for any help! :)

2. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    not sure if its an option you're open to but you could get both second hand and save a few quid - ajpurdy have a used 20D for sale and I know of a place in central london with a 16-35. The 16-35 isn't a great deal cheaper than the 7dayshop price - as L lenses hold there value. It does come with a 12 month guarantee tho.

3. SnowCat

SnowCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks a lot, Tomson!

Where is this place in London? I would like to check it out this weekend :)

p.s. I'll never go for s/h dslr. In most cases people return them when there is something wrong with AF system or some nasty "dead" pixels on CCD sensor.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Jessops will not pricematch Pixmania as they are bassed in France. I don't know how their UK shop compares on prices to their web site, or even if the stock is UK sourced, or French as is their web site.
    Jessops will however pricematch a UK bassed web site if you have the contact details for them to check prices & stock. The best price I could find for a 350D that I'm looking to get was from www.digital-cameras.com with a free 2nd year warrenty, so might be worth checking them out for the 20D.

Mark.

5. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    the place is www.apertureuk.com, they're on Museum Street near the British Museum. There are 4 or 5 camera shops within a few hundred yards of each other round that area (all selling some secondhand stuff) so might be worth an amble round to see what they have.

I see your point about used dslrs - but I bought a second hand one a couple of years back - it came from Fixation, in Vauxhall, who deal with lots of press photographers and other pro users (so the cameras are usually redundant due to upgrades), it was serviced and guaranteed. I personally wouldn't hesitate in buying used again.

6. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    jessops will try and pricematch everything, be polite yes forceful, and try some diferent branches if they refuse,

just do it, and you wont look back

7. SnowCat

SnowCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks a lot, everyone! I'm going to use next month to shop around :)

8. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    I have had a couple of used DSLR's and had absolutely no problem with them. I would imagine one coming from a dealer would have warranty with it anyway, so don't discount them based on what you think they are like :smashin:

Mifsuds have a 20D body for £799 and it has a 10 day approval and 3 months warranty. I have dealt with them a couple of times and they are an excellent company.

9. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,772
    Pixmania doesn't actually have a shop here do they? It is just a collection point and the 'shop' bit is computers they provide to their online ordering system...

But as stated before, give it a try, the worst that can happen is no...I did that and got no for an answer, then I produced a print out of the second cheapest (Amazon at the time) and they did match that one...And provided some comments with a smile that I was well prepared....

So the advice is, where combat trousers with many pockets, start with the cheapest import shops and work your way up with different printouts if they are not willing... ;-)

10. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jessops you will find will give better deals on the bodies then the lenses. I bought the 16-35 only last week and the 50 1.4 and 85 1.8. saved £90 thats all.

saved more on my compact then i did on the lenses with them. They dont give the same discount for lenses, trust me i'm not shy and well used to dealing with my local branch