1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PQ via VGA

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by NickHack, Apr 24, 2005.

1. NickHack

NickHack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm sure I'll be told its all down to preference but at the risk of being shot down....

What differences can be derived from connecting (say Sky) to a plasma via the various connections? I'm waiting on buying a Panny over the next 4 or 5 weeks and have been looking at Syncblasters. Is VGA a good way to go or is there a better route (Obviously assuming the panel was fitted with all possible connections)?

Thanks in advance

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    The best connection is into the VGA port using a J S Technology RGB to VGA converter with good cables.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Actually this is not always the case. There are plenty of folk on here who comment about the extreme saturation levels that can occur with an RGB to VGA convertor going to that input. Indeed I got an email about this today........There is no colour control on the VGA input either in the service menu or in the user menu.

I presume that the reason some folk are afflicted and others are not is that the tolerance on voltage levels on Sky boxes is not great so some folk may have red push while others may get green push....who knows....So in that respect using an RGB to Component connection or just plain old svideo may be preferable.

I would agree thought that when it's all ok the RGBtoVGA is great.

Gordon

4. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I don't know really how I manage it but I do seem to be able to adjust colour a bit on my PW7 using freeview box via JS Tech RGB to VGA... it is in the advanced user menu and if I turn down the red it does make skin tones look a little more natural. Just a thought.
    lisa

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    LOL not sure gordon wants that info public..........................
    (be careful in there lisa.......) the question is how do you know what "red push" is? without a reference material your flapping in the breeze...............thats where Piers and G come in with their test gear........ :smashin:

6. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Oh crikey, not in trouble am I?
    This menu is not the service menu (been messing in there too, but I wrote all the original settings down first, but got a bit scared so didn't change much) it is in the normal user menu - advanced settings - and the normalise button sets it all back to default.

7. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Pretty sure you aren't in trouble ;)

Colour saturation ( i.e. the amount of colour) is what you lose with the RGB to VGA converter. What you have been adjusting are the colour temperature controls - very difficult to get right without the test equipment.

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    The mistake folk make is they adjust rgb gain and cutoff to fix colour issues.....they are not the same as Piers says. Our TV system is backward compatible with B+W TV. It's a B+W image with all the detail in it that has low detail colour slapped on top.

The TV standard specifies what colour B+W (GREY) should be and also how the colours Red Green and Blue should be and how they should be mixed. The RGB adjsutment in the ADVANCED menu is to fix the colour of Black and White. Now if you're black and white image is too red then that's where to deal with it.....By reducing the R component you are shifting the colour of grey to CYAN and the more you do it the more of a CYAN cast you'll give evrything......not just reducing red saturation. It might help your colour problem but it actually just breaks all the other colours. So you trade one defect for a less offensive alternative. Which is of course far enough.....

The solution is to get the greyscale calibrated by someone like Piers or myself and to use an input that gives you control over the colour decoder....(Panasonics have colour decoder adjsutment in the service menu)......Anyway, just a thought.

Gordon

9. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Thank you Gordon, your 'Just a thought' seems to be somewhat more thorough than mine :eek: . I do appreciate that calibrating displays properly is a job for the professionals, as a mere, non AV trained owner, I will just have to stick with tweaking the odd setting to make the picture quality look a bit better. Maybe other readers will find it helpful to know that the panasonic panel does allow some user adjustment via the VGA input though.

lisa