1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PQ Question - VGA or Component?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MikePaonessa, May 16, 2005.

1. MikePaonessa

MikePaonessa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Native resolution should give the best quality I would have thought, though you can't ignore the fact the quality of the source material and the player has a big influence on that.I would suggest 1024 x 768 either through HDMI (if your screen has it) or VGA. Alternatively try all of them and see which one you like best. On a final note, I presume you are viewing this as an experiment that will not leave you too unhappy despite spending £150?

3. Export Strength

Export Strength
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If you ask a DVD player to scale the output to a digital display then two two questions need to be addressed.

1. Can the DVD player scale to the native resolution of the screen? If not then don't bother. The display will just have to re-scale the incoming signal again leading to unwanted artifacts within the image. Scaling should be done once only.

2. Assuming the player is capable of scaling to native res. Then the question is whether the DVD player has a better scaler than the one built in to the screen? With cheap DVD players this is unlikely. But you will have to try both.

Remember when something looks like a cheap solution it normally is.....cheap!

4. MikePaonessa

MikePaonessa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys.

Actually the picture looks good through all of them. I had a Pioneer DV737 and it's certainly as good if not better.