1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PQ on Tosh 36ZP48 vs. Pana TH42PW7B

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by echo3, Feb 15, 2005.

1. echo3

echo3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been eyeing up the Panasonic Plasma display, but just realised that the £700 saving by buying a 36" CRT would pay for a lot of xtra kit (like a HCPC). I'm lucky enough to have a big living room at the moment, so space is not a problem, but it could be in the future if I move house.

In terms of picture quality, just how much worse is the Plasma going to be?

I have a Pana sc-ht520 home ciname system with a crap display at present that has to be replaced, but no DVD recorder or PC linked up.

echo3.

2. Doctorb

Doctorb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Personally I think the picture quality on the tosh can be horribly pixelated at times (or the clearness of looking through a bathroom window effect), but in the end its up to you. Lots of people are going to say the tosh has a superb picture, many will side with the panasonic plasma.
    You really need to see both set up with a half decent signal to make up your own mind.

3. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    OK.

The thosiba in theory, should give a better picture than a plasma. However there are a lot of other deciding factors when buying a display.

A crt like the thosh picture frame has very good picture processing, I owend a picture frame 2 for a while and can say the the overall actuall picture being displayed was very good. However, a crt display can have a lot of problems. My tosh had the dirty screen effect, very bad screen purity and terrible geometric errors.
    I now own a panasonic Viera plasma. This has none of the above problems but is very fussy when it comes to displaying a signal that is not top notch. It does stuggle some what with sky televison, but dvd and gaming is very good.

My advice would be to get a decent demo of them both and then decide for your self. Unfortunatly at the moment there is no such thing as a perfect display :eek:

4. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, I am going to put the 'cat amongst the pigeons'. I own a Toshiba 32ZP48 and I think the picture is superb - I have watched a variety of material on it and to my eyes it is everything I want a CRT tv to be - the 36ZP48 uses the same picture processing and so I'm quite sure the picture would be superb as well. On the other hand, I have spent a weekend or two looking at a Panasonic 42TH 42" series plasma and I must say I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the picture - to my eyes it looked very close to a crt picture and for me that is the standard that any LCD/plasma display has to match. If I were in the market for a plasma then (to even my surprise !) I would recommend the Panasonic TH 42PW range. I believe Richer sounds regularly offer these for sale at bargain basement prices. Assuming you are open minded I would equally consider the Toshiba and the Plasma. As suggested, try and see them both before deciding. Regards, yt.

5. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have a tosh 36zp48 and the picture once set up correctly is excellent. I haven't seen the v7 Panny but I have seen a v6 and that had great picture quality aswell. But I went for the Tosh due to the fact I use it a lot for gaming and screen burn caused me slight concern on the plasma.
    So a thumbs up for the CRT from me :smashin:

6. Hodman

Hodman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As a general rule, I would say that Plasma displays are excellent with good sources (DVD and some digital channels).
    However they can be very bad with lesser sources (e.g. low bit rate digital tv).

If you are going to do a lot of freeview/SKY watching, choose carefully.
    A good quality CRT may be best.

7. SJGIL

SJGIL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi All,

I totally agree with Hodman. I recently purchased a Plasma from Tiny and returned it due a fault and very poor picture quality on anything other than DVD. Followed up with a Philips 37" Plasma which was much better than the Tiny screen IMO but again with most Freeview channels the picture again was poor and not watchable. I also returned this and decided that Plasma is not for me as a normal TV and went for a Toshiba 36ZP48 from my local John Lewis @ £799 with a 5 year guarantee and it was without a doubt the best thing I did.

They had it on display with a normal analogue broadcast for demo purposes so showing it at its worst rather than its best so things can only get better when you get it home. Every plasma panel seems to be on show with DVD mainly using either Finding Nemo or Monster Inc which do look good but get the unit home and feed a range of typical TV broadcasts into them and the quality starts to fall off at quite a rate on some channels.

The picture quality on everything I have thrown at the Tosh has been stunning taking into account the source. DVD on component connection is second to none IMO and Freeview channels are all well displayed and a pleasure to watch.

The other benefit of this TV is due to the Picture Frame design it takes up the same amount of floor space as a typical 32" CRT.

I have had my Toshiba since Saturday and would recommend this set to anyone, especially if they can pick one up for £799 with a 5 year guarantee.

8. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Yes i agree that most stores do feed their plasma's dvd showing Nemo etc, and that some sky channels look poor. but remember that any poor channels will look worse on a 42" screen. I have a panny 42pw6 and when when watching normal dvd's (not nemo) its bloody class and xbox on 480p is out of this world. i had a tosh 36zd26 when it first came out a very good tv but i think my panny is better on dvd and xbox. sky is as good on the strong channles but on the weak ones. :eek:

Also gonna be getting a tosh 32zp48 for another room soon cos it is a nice tv. :smashin:

9. echo3

echo3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,

Its £1,095 on their web site - how did you get it for £799? I'm tempted by this as even the cheapest "good" plasma will be £1,000 more by the time I've added warranty and terminal boards. Maybe I can put the saving towards a mega front projection system in the future.

S.

10. SJGIL

SJGIL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I totally agree with you LFC FAN and I was very tempted to buy the Panny PW6 as my third attempt at Plasma but the point I was making was for general all round viewing, I would prefer the Tosh as the picture quality across ALL sources is excellent. If I was buying a screen to watch mainly DVDs and play games only then a plasma would be the one for me and more to the point the panny would of been my final choice in this instance based on what I have seen and heard of this panel. IMO Plamas start to struggle with some TV broadcasts to the point of being unwatchable so my advice was if you watch as much TV broadcasts as you watch DVDs and play games then go for the CRT - thats all.

11. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    100% agree with you :smashin: <---- that's not to say i don't like sky on my plasma, just i agree some channels look crap. and i'm a PQ whore like most on here. :D

echo3 whatever you buy i'm sure you'll be happy. :)

12. TheBaron

TheBaron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8

There was a short time when JL Milton Keynes were doing it at £799 due to an incorrect price match. Mine is coming tommorrow at that price . :clap:

However JL Bluewater should do it at £899 matching RBGDirect :thumbsup: .

I originally placed my order at £999, got it reduced to £899, then again to £799.................I just hope its as good as everyone says it is ;)

13. SJGIL

SJGIL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I bought mine direct from JL Milton Keynes but it was on the shop floor @ £799 so there was no price matching involved. I just ordered one as normal at this price and it was delivered 2.5 weeks later. I have heard that they have now changed the price but I have not been in there since to be able to confirm.

It was always listed on their web site at various higher prices during this time.