PQ of panasonic E55

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by thesnowman, Jul 10, 2004.

1. thesnowman

thesnowman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    What is the picture quality like on each setting and how much can you record (especially on RAM as I wil be making alot of recordings daily)

I will be making recordings off my SKY digi box,

so How does the recording compare to vhs, s-vhs, Tivo, SKY+

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    With the current Panasonic range you can record upto about 3hrs onto a DVDR before you hit the resolution drop so that is your mark. Realistically the Sky digibox picture is so bad your not going to see a significant drop in quality prior to that - but it depends on your setup and your own preference.

It's hard to compare with VHS/SVHS because, as analogue sources, they suffer from very different 'artifacts' than digital recordings. Above 3hrs on a Panasonic E55 is far superior to both though.

The MPEG2 compression used in the TivO is generations behind that used in the E55 and simply can't compare.

Sky+ records the digital signal as transmitted and so will always be 'perfect' given the limitations of Sky's low quality broadcasts!