1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PPA20 specs

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by laalves, Oct 26, 2005.

1. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have been investigating the use of a Jensen MC step-up transformer.

Jensen said that there isn't enough info in the manual to be able to evaluate if the use of one of their step-ups would be of worth it. They need to know the signal-to-noise ratios for each individual gain settings, with reference to specified input levels.

Off the question went to IAG. The reply was a copy&paste of the manual-published specs (which does not have what I asked for). Very useful. Then I told them this and the following reply was: "This is all we've got".

Man, IAG support really sucks!

Does any of you lot have these numbers? Udo? Stevesky? GrahamMG?

Luis

2. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    :hiya: :hiya: :hiya:

Anything? Udo? Steve?

Luis

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I can see to a degree what they're getting at,but would also have to ask why you want an MC transformer,when the PPA20 has more than sufficient gain for even some of the lowest output MCs,and remains very highly rated by some as a phono stage now.

Adding a transfomer does add it's own set of potential problems in the shape of hum,and also selecting the right loading and gain for the transformer to provide,and even Jensen's highest gain transformer only provides the same maximum gain as the PPA20.

4. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yes, my personal opinion is that it is indeed a very good phono stage. Well, I do like to experiment, and am simply keen to hear if the noise floor may be significantly reduced. This is what they claim, and what I would like to try.

The cartridge I'm using now is not a very low output one (see sig; currently using MC x 10 in the PPA20 and 1.6 V input sensitivity level in the AV32R, after a LOT of experimentation), but i'm bound to climb up the cartridge price ladder and (usually) consequently down the output level.

Luis

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Hi Luis....I personally don't think it will drop the noise floor so much that you'll notice it,given that the S/N ratio for vinyl as a medium is about 70dB or thereabouts,and the TAG is well below that anyway.

The Lyra I have is a medium/low output MC and the Helikon SL is one of the lowest outputs of all,but would still work with the TAG,and noise hasnt been a problem with my phono stage,which isn't as well specc'd as the PPA20(its a Trichord Dino with the NC power supply).

I do know what you mean by trying different things,but can't help thinking if the price is moderate,if it was me,I'd divert the cash towards the next cartridge....I certainly know at least one PPA20 owner who rates it as better than the Tom Evans Groove(not the Micro,which I thought was pretty average and rather tiring to listen to).