powerstrip

P

Pete Delaney

Today I read all I could find on 1:1 mapping, as my pc monitor cable arrives tomorrow and I would like to give 1:1 mapping a try.

I have a standard 'proview' 1024 res tft pc monitor
Sanyo Z1
Gforce Ti4200
athlon 2600xp

I have got hold of powerstrip and tried to set the 960*540 res but my monitor will not display it.

As a second experiment I turned off the pc and connected the graphics card to Z1 via svid and turned pc on again with the pc monitor disconnected. However, the Z1 would not accept the resolution either.

I played a dvd in 1024 res via svid and the picture was not as good as my dvd player provides. Also, seemed a little 'jerky' at times during playback.

My pc is an athlon2600 so it should have the muscle to do the job.

Can anyone advise me how to set-up my system in time for the cable arriving tomorrow?

I also tried downloading other monitor drivers to attempt to 'fool' the pc and therefore display the required res (this was done as a result of reading someone elses efforts witha Z1 and a sony gsmw900 driver for the monitor) but to no avail.

I hope you guys can help 'Mr Thicky' here, as I am not sure I'll achieve anything exept more hair loss without some proper instruction!:blush:

TIA
Pete:)

I don't have experience of using PStrip with nVidia cards and I know there can be differences in the way they react to that of the Radeons I use. When you say "but my monitor will not display that" can you elaborate as to what happens. Note that monitors often won't sync to non-standard PC resolutions.

The jerkiness can be down to several things, it could be down to playing a PAL DVD at 60Hz refresh, PAL ideally needs a multiple of 25Hz, NTSC a mutiple of 30Hz. Again, can you describe it in a bit more detail?

Hi KraGorn,
You are a fine chap!
The screen basically goes black and tells me (in a box that comes onto the screen)that it can't display the vga setting and quotes the V and H refresh rates that I have tried to use.

EDIT: I tried to set 960*540 pal to give 50hz. The jerkiness is in scenes where the camera is doing a pan from say left to right or vice versa.

My Nvidia card also allows me to set non standard res but it gets the same result

Sadly Pete, fine as I may be :), I don't have experience with nVidia cards and Powerstrip, but your description of the message seems to point firmly at the display driver .. I know there are nVidia users round here hopefully one of them will know more. My only experience with this resolution was with my AE300 and Radeon 9600 and the card/driver was perfectly happy to switch to that.

As for the jerkiness, camera pans jerking is almost always a sign of DVD/display refresh mismatching. What sort of connection are you using, DVI? The Z2 doesn't allow 50hz via DVI, maybe the Z1 is the same?

No,
The Z1 only has a standard 15 pin female pc monitor socket. Yes I agree with your display driver comments, hopefully there's a solution out there. Perhaps it would be different with the monitor cable connected solely to the pc?

.....I feel another beer coming on:blush:

Hopefully, I'll get back to work on a temp basis, that should keep me out of trouble. All these weeks at home recovering from a back op....it's driving me nuts.....

I recently set of a friends PC for 1:1 pixel mapping for the Z1, using an old ATI Radeon 7200 and powerstrip.

I started with these power strip settings:
http://www.gumboot.co.nz/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=33

I used Mark Rejhon's test pattern to verify things:
http://www.marky.com/main/index.html

This showed the timings were off. I then went into the projector and played around with some of the timings until all the moire interference patterns vanished. Adjust the dot clock first, then clock phase, finally center the image.

Hope this helps.

--- Dave

Originally posted by Pete Delaney
Perhaps it would be different with the monitor cable connected solely to the pc?
That's how I ran my HTPC, I tried dual-head operation and couldn't get on with it, much easier with a single desktop/overlay to worry about .. it also simplified configuring the thing with only one display to worry about. It may be my ineptitude rather than something inherently complex about ATI's dual-head settings, maybe nVidia are better.

That was a typo...I meant trying to set this up with the pc connected solely to the Z1, therefore, taking my pc monitor out of the loop completely.

Actually, I mis-read what you posted as saying "to the pj" and replied accordingly :blush:

I've got a nVidia FX5200 running with Powerstrip feeding my AE100 ( 1:1 mapped VGA ) and Toshiba RPTV ( TV-Out ) although it took a while to get this set up. I'd recommend getting the latest nVidia drivers as they were a marked improvement over the ones that came on my PC.

In terms of supported resolutions, have a look in the projector's manual - the AE100 has a comprehensive list of what it supports via each input and an indication of the expected picture quality. I don't think the nVidia cards are any less Powerstrip friendly than the Radeons so it should be possible providing the Z1 supports a 1:1 mapped input resolution.

Cheers

Simon

Well guys the cable has arrived so I shall no doubt go through a day of tinkering, frustration and further hairloss:rolleyes:

Cheers for the input guys..

ps : yes the Z1 definately supports 1:1 mapping, it's just a question of this :clown: working it all out!

Well I think I've done it! I used Mark Rehon's calibration test pattern and the signal looks 'clean'.

However, in 960 by 540 the image does not fill the potential full screen, when playing a movie. What I mean is it is scaled down like a rectangle within a rectangle, the inner one containing the image and the outer being the potential full screen?

Is there an absolute way of checking it's set up ok now. I mean short of a fanfare of trumpets and a big board with 'you have 1:1mapping' written on it!:rolleyes:

So, have I done it? The pc and pj are both in 960 by 540. It's just been 'too easy', once I took the pc monitor out of the loop....

EDIT: jerkiness cured by better dvd software player...

If your Windows Desktop fills the whole screen then it sounds like the DVD playing software is scaling it somehow. Which player are you using? I found WinDVD to be the most trouble-free in my setup.

If the desktop doesn't fill the screen then the projector must be up to something?

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

Desktop fills the screen...I was using windvd. The picture does look good though....at times the extra res reveals the 'squares' which make up the dvd picture....
....a similar effect that can be seen when playing compressed divx format...

Have got hold of powerdvd 5 so will try that later, I think windvd was messing me about....

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom