1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Powerstrip won't let me set a custom res of 960x540 for my Z1

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dunkyboy, Sep 8, 2003.

1. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    When I try to set PowerStrip up with a custom res. of 960x540 for 1:1 mapping with my Sanyo Z1, it just defaults the active pixels to 640x480, and won't let me change them! I've tried for hours now to get it to let me do what I want, to no avail. Help, this is really frustrating me!

One thing I did consider - do I need to register PS to get custom reses to work properly? I'm just using the shareware version ATM.

Thanks,

Dunc

2. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Note, I'm using the Z1 as a second monitor, plugged into the DVI out on my Radeon 7000, with a DVI-to-VGA adaptor thingie.

Dunc

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Couple of things:

Unreg'd copy of Powerstrip works fine.
    Make sure "hide aspect's not supported" is unticked in desktop properties.
    If the primary monitor doesn't accept that res, it won't allow you to apply it. Unplug the primary display, reboot on just the Z1, apply the resolution & reboot.

That should get you some of the way :)

4. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had to override the driver that windows was using for the monitor to get it to allow 16:9 resolutions. I manually selected a Sony monitor (something like GD-900W but it was a while ago) which I know to support widescreen resolutions and everything is now fine.

HTH,

_

5. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Found out what it was - the Radeon (or Windows, or Powerstrip?) just doesn't want me setting the secondary display device to nonstandard resolutions. :( Which means I can get the PJ working fine as the primary display, but then I can't really use my actual monitor as a useful device, as there's no taskbar! Is there any way to get the taskbar onto the secondary monitor?

The silly thing is, it's not even a hardware limitation, as when you tell the Radeon to swap the primary and secondary displays in software (in the ATI Control Centre), it works the same way - i.e. new primary display device *can* accept funky reses, new secondary one can't.

So AFAICS, I'm going to have to swap monitor cables and resolutions every time I want to watch a movie. D'oh!!

Anyone managed to get a decent dual-display solution going with a Radeon, where one has a funky-ass resolution?

Cheers,

Dunc

6. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Works fine for me with a 9000 and now with a 9500 at 848*480 and 1368*768. Reread the tips that Kramer suggested and then use the control panel to switch between primary displays using hotkeys.

The only limitation is you can use different resolutions at the same time on different displays.

7. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Actually, I think it's something else - seems like it's the DVI port that doesn't want to do anything but "standard" reses. Hmm.

I like the idea bout a hotkey, though - that might just be what I need.

Cheers,

Dunc