1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Powerstrip, VGA2SCART, 1024x576, why?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by 0lly, Oct 20, 2005.

1. 0lly

0lly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using a Nebula tv card and Zoomplayer to watch tv and dvd. I am currently using s-video on a 28inch Philips widescreen CRT. Both the Nebula card and Zoomplayer have an option to adjust aspect ratio for widescreen viewing.

I will be getting a new Loewe Aventos 28inch 100Hz this Friday. I will be making a vga to scart lead and I was wondering whether to bother with 1024 x 576. I am currently using 720x576 which I thought was PAL DVB and DVD resolution? Will this higher resolution improve the image quality of video media or does it just correct the aspect ratio of the windows desktop?

I am very nervous about inputting a higher resolution through the video circuitry of my Aventos which is really only designed for 720x576 or lower.

Thanks.

2. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Pretty much I believe. I don't think it would be detrimental to image quality. About inputting the higher resolution well thankfully I've not had problems with my Philips set after more than a year of use but there have been bad reports every now and then; would be a shame to damage a new set.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Don't worry about putting out a higher resolution than the monitor can handle, while theoretically you can damage it modern digital systems have protection for this.

The basic answer is that you should aim to output from the PC at the native resolution of the monitor, on the basis that the scaler in the monitor will probably be inferior to that in the PC .. either using the scaler in the grpahics drivers or even better, FFDSHOW.

I'm a bit confused though why you mention 1024x576 when you go on to say that "is really only designed for 720x576" .. I am assuming that it is in fact 1024x576 which of course in a 16:9 rather than 4:3 A/R.

IMHO you'd be advised to output at 1024x576 if possible if indeed the TV has that native resolution and will accept it.

One thing I've never understood is how anamorphic WS works, ie. how 720x576 gets warped into 1024x576 for a WS display, but beingon my 4th WS projector I can only say it does. :)

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    1024x576 is the way to go with Loewe TVs.

You're right that the DVD image has a resolution of only 720x576. But, if the material is anamorphic, you need to take the 720x576 4:3 picture and stretch it horizontally. This doesn't lead to an actual increase in resolution, it just makes each pixel wider. But it gives the desired aspect ratio.

The thing with Loewe TVs is that using the VGA input is the only way to get the TV to use progressive scan. And another quirk is that the horizontal stretching of the picture doesn't work on a VGA signal. You may be able to get a Loewe TV to synch at 720x576, but, if so, the picture you get will be 4:3 only. To get the correct aspect ratio for anamorphic material, you have to stetch the picture sideways, and, as the TV itself won't do that, you have to do it externally, before the signal enters the TV. By stretching 720x576 to 1024x576 you get the correct aspect ratio and a progressive scan picture.