1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

powerstrip settings for series 4 panny

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jont, Nov 19, 2003.

1. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +409
    I'm playing around with a loan HTPC and I've been told to try and get the correct powerstrip settings for a PW4 to get the correct aspect ratio, etc ... anybody help ?

cheers

Jon

2. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I can't tell you exactly how to do it becuase it was a while ago I did mine but I can give you a couple of tips that will hopefully avoid you spending days scratching your head like I did:

1) The X/Y resolutions have to be divisible by 8 so don't try and set up the screens exact native resolution (say 852x480) becuase it won't work - you have to use the closest figure that divides by 8 so in this case you would want 848x480.

2) I set up a new monitor profile in powerstrip with the plasma details from the manual (like maximum sync/refresh rate etc) - you then apply this to windows before messing with powerstrip settings - knowing that you now cannot accidentally send signals to the plasma that it cannot handle.

3) I have some PC grid wallpapers you can use to "snap-in" the display exactly - I can post them here later if you want, or you could create your own they are simply black and white alternating horizontal (or vertical) lines 1 pixel black 1 pixel white etc. You get them up on screen then adjust the screen position/width/height until they "snap in" exactly - very easy to see when you have it right/wrong.

3. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +409
    Thanks ... if you can email me the wallpapers if they are too large to post here ... I'll PM you my email address ...

rgds

Jon

4. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,
    Ive downloaded powerstrip for my panny 4 series and cant get it to setup a resolution of 848 x 480......
    My pc isnt a beast and doesnt even have a AGP slot....so i'm running on an onboard graphics card, could this be the reason for this?
    Cheers

Danny

5. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    danny-p,

Not all graphics cards/drivers will allow custom resolutions, if it's an old PC with on-board graphics then this is probably the reason. If you can find out exactly what on-board card it is you may be able to see if you can get updated drivers on the web which may allow custom resolutions but it sounds like quite a long shot.

6. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Here is the first Wallpaper - for setting horizontal position/picture width.

Attached Files:

7. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Here is the second Wallpaper - for setting vertical position/picture height.

Attached Files:

8. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Basically to use these wallpapers to "snap-in" your picture, set one as your PC wallpaper (make sure that the stretch wallpaper setting is NOT on). You should be able to use these wallpapers for other resolutions - just center the wallpaper on screen and do the same (obviously do not try and resize the wallpapers in a paint package - that will not work it will just distort the patterns).

When you have one on screen you can use the plasma position and height/width settings until the picture is good - it is quite obvious when you have it right/wrong, if its wrong you will see a lot of interference/moire patterns on the screen. You may also want/need to use the Powerstrip position/size settings too. You will need to do this for each powerstrip resolution/refresh rate you intend to use.

9. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    I have to disagree here. I have successfully snapped in 852x480 and 854x480 on my Panny 5 series using Radeon 8500 gfx card.

Rob.

10. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    O.k., must be just certain cards/drivers then (mine was some sort of Nvidia TNT card but can't remember which one off-hand).

11. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Certainly the card makes a difference. I tried with a 3D prophet 4500 (Kyro) and couldn't even create a custom resolution. Tried numerous drivers and different OS, but no joy...

Rob.

12. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Rob,

Don't suppose you still have those powerstrip settings ?

Cheers, Carl.

13. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Try these for starters,I've been messing around for what seems ages if anyones got better/more suitable timings i'd be very interested,also there is a post on HCPC forum.I never managed 852x480 and was reliably informed it was not possible on my Radeon 9500 pro even though windows was showing a res of 852x480.
    At that res I was getting strange anomolies ie virtual desktop,uncentered picture etc.848 works for me

PowerStrip timing parameters:
    848x480=848,37,88,91,480,8,3,26,33000,274

Generic timing details for 848x480:
    HFP=37 HSW=88 HBP=91 kHz=31 VFP=8 VSW=3 VBP=26 Hz=60

Linux modeline parameters:
    "848x480" 33.000 848 885 973 1064 480 488 491 517 -hsync +vsync

Cheers
    Rob

14. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    I will post my settings tomorrow. Can't do now as still at work and have to rush out this evening.

Rob.

15. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Sorry for being so slow, but here are those settings:

852x480=852,39,88,127,480,1,3,21,32953,7
    856x480=856,24,88,96,480,1,3,13,31828,278

I told you slightly wrong as the other resolution was 856x480 and not 854x480. I did this for playing Quake 3 engine based games. I think I'm right in saying the Panasonic is unable to differentiate between these modes. If you snap one in, change to the other, snap that it and then change back and the first one is wrong again. On a previous install of Windows I did have them recognised seperately, but didn't save the settings before trashing the installation - doh! I haven't really played around much since and tend to leave it on 852x480 as 99% of the time that's fine for me.

Another thing you may want to try (which I find useful for games that don't offer a widescreen mode) is to switch to 640x480, put the plasma into 4:3 mode and snap that in. Works a treat.

Rob.