1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

powerstrip settings for electrohome crt - help please!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by filmmonkey, Nov 22, 2004.

1. filmmonkey

filmmonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if this has already been answered but my searches haven't revealed the answer yet...

I have an ElectrohomeECP 3100 and am trying to run it from the pc using Dscaler to save buying a dedicated hardware scaler. I am having a devilishly difficult time getting a stable picture - using powerstrip controlling my Matrox G450 I get a rolling picture. I can monkey with the various scan rates and fine tune the porch numbers to speed up or slow down the rolling but I can't quite get a still picture.

The pj has manual or auto H and V scan adjustment but even with this I can't 'tune' it in exactly.

Does anyone know the EXACT settings I need from Powerstrip. I assume that the projector behaves similarly to some of the other leading makes (Electrohome seem thin on the ground over here) so I'd be interested to hear from you Barco owners out there!

BTW, the pj displays an image fine from a dvd player - so its not a hardware fault.

Help me obiwan, you're my only hope.

2. BrianCurran

BrianCurran
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like you are using input 1 on the input module, You need to use input 2 if you are using a RGBHV BNC cable. Always set H and V sync scan adjustment to auto.

Note: Input 1 will only accept RGBS.

What resolution are you trying to display?

Regards

3. filmmonkey

filmmonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. I'll try the other input tonight - you were right, I was using input one on the rgbhv board.

Regarding resolutions, I was trying anything that would work, but once we get the sync sorted I'll be open to suggestions. I was thinking of running my films out via DScaler (or theatertek when I get the onboard DVD) at full screen then using the Hsize on the pj to resize to 16:9. Is this the best way ahead? This gives me the widest picture from the pj, using most of the width of the raster especially when the small amount of keystoning is taken into account. Presumably this way I want some kind of resolution set up that equals a screen ratio of 4:3, rather than the 16:9 ratios that a lot of people recommend? I also read somewhere that its best not to get the pc involved with any unsqueezing as it can introduce artefacting.

I have the pc set to dual boot so its not desperately necessary to have a screen resolution that will also work with the pc monitor (a lot of the combinations I was trying yesterday caused the monitor to freak out), although that would be helpful.

One more question - the bog-standard composite picture coming from the dvd player via the video input board is a lot brighter and more colourful than the pc output - whats the best way of optimising the brightness and contrast?

almost there!

4. BrianCurran

BrianCurran
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1024 x 576 @ 60Hz works well on the ECPs if you are using a 16:9 screen.

The picture controls only work on the video input. On the data inputs you only have adjustment for brightness and contrast.

Regards

5. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

You could also try using a bnc-t connector to combine your h & v signals. ECP projectors seem to 'like' a combined sync signal. Sometimes the 0.7v output from a pc is a bit weak for the ecp (where a 1v signal is more optimal) and that may be why the projector isn't locking to the signal.

The 'video' input card on the ecp isn't considered to be very good (chroma delay problems on s-video) so stick with the rgbhv inputs.

On the ecp you should be able to set up different resolutions and aspect ratios in different memories.

Brian

6. filmmonkey

filmmonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. The problem was solved in one of two ways - firstly Powerstrip has a software version of combing the h and v signals (composite sync) which seemed to do the trick, but I've gone with the RGBHV on slot 2, which is working a treat.

varying the topic slightly - What's the considered opinion on whether to 'unsqueeze' the picture in DScaler or to let the PJ do the ratio conversion by reducing the Vertical Size?