Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Powerstrip setting and the HS10 (my sanity is at stake here!)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Comer, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I know that you will say I should do a search but I have spent all morning (it’s 12.00 o clock here) trying in vain to find a solution to my problem. I know that I’m just doing something stupid and I would be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction

I’m trying to set powerstrip settings to the following for running the HS10 on a PC:

1368x768=1368,88,144,232,768,1,3,30,82280,7

The process that I’m following is as follows:
    1. Copy the above settings from a notepad document and close notepad
    2. Start PowerStrip
    3. Click Display Profiles and click Configure
    4. Click Advanced Timing Options
    5. Click Custom Resolutions
    6. Click Paste to paste the copied settings
    7. Click Add New Resolution
    8. PowerStrip prompts me to Restart so I click Restart
    9. When the computer restarts start PowerStrip again
    10. Click Display Profiles and click Configure
    11. Click Advanced Timing Options
    12. Click Custom Resolutions
    13. Click User defined
    14. Select the new resolution 1368x768
    15. Click Add new resolution
    16. Powerstrip does not change to the new resolution but just prompts me to restart again
    17. And so it goes on in a never ending loop until all my hair is lying in clumps on the living room floor

Please (while I still have a hint of sanity left) could some one tell me where I’m going wrong?

Many thanks

Conor

2. ChrisAllenFiz

ChrisAllenFiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Once you`ve added the resolution and restarted, can`t you just select it in the display properties under windows? My memory isn`t v good, but I thought you could?

Chris

3. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I take it you've unchecked the box in advanced display properties "hide resolutions this monitor does not support".

4. ChrisAllenFiz

ChrisAllenFiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    "Start by connecting the PC to a normal monitor.

After installing PowerStrip a new icon should appear on the right hand side of the tool bar. Click on this, then select Display Profiles/Configure. The Display profiles window should appear.

In the Display profiles window, select Advanced timing options. The Advanced timing options window should appear.

In the Advanced timings options window, select Custom resolutions. The Custom resolutions window should appear. In the bottom right hand corner is a little clipboard icon, used to Paste in timings from the clipboard.

In IE, highlight the line starting 856x480 from my earlier post. Make sure you don't copy any leading or trailing spaces. Cut and Paste this into a notepad, and double check there are no leading or trailing spaces. Once you're happy, copy the settings and then in the Custom resolutions window press the clipboard icon. The numbers in the New Resolution section should change. If they don't change, you probably have leading or trailing spaces. Try again.

Now, press Add new resolution. At this stage you might be asked to reboot. Or, you might get a message saying the display driver has acccepted the resolution.

Case 1) Reboot required
    Allow the machine to reboot. Then, get back into the Display profiles window and adjust the resolution slider until you see 856x480. Stop at this point and click Apply and OK the change. Then, select the Advanced timings option.

Case 2) No reboot required
    Hopefully, the driver will accept the resolution and you'll be allowed to switch to it. Do so. Then press the close button on the Custom timings window.

In either case, if the new resolution has not been accepted, the only course of action is to try upgrading to the latest display drivers for your card. Or, get a new graphics card.

In both cases you should now be back in the Advanced timings window, and the new timings should be visible. You may need to adjust the controls on your monitor to make make the image visible. As you are displaying a 16:9 resolution on a 4:3 monitor, the text will be somewhat tall and thin. That's good!"

The above text might be useful (Quoted from hoglet, btw), although it applies to the AE100. Maybe your driver is not accepting the resolution. maybe try the Sony GDMW900 monitor driver which accepts widescreen resolutions?

HTH

Chris

5. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Thanks guys

Thanks to ypour posts I now see what I was doing wrong. I'll try this tonight. BTW, I was right, I was doing something stupid :blush:

Conor

6. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Fill us in then:D

7. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I got the pc to accept the pasted settings into PowerStrip but all is still not well. The image is now stretched but I still have vertical black bars at each side of the screen on the HS10 and the icons are "under these black bars" I have to move the mouse to the left side and the icons slide onto the screen.
    Any ideas?

Conor

8. ChrisAllenFiz

ChrisAllenFiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Aha! I had this problem myself, Its the FRIKKEN ATI drivers. I hate them, they think that your monitor is not capable of supporting the res, and so they have "helpfully" made the desktop scrollable. Sometimes this also arises when Windows thinks you have more than one monitor (it says you have an imaginary "default" monitor, and the real monitor). Basically its a pain in the arse to get rid of. I can`t remember how I did it but it involved removing monitors under device manager and adding them back in. Maybe someone has a "magic" one step fix, but I was too stoopid to find one.

Chris

Another thing to check is that the HS10 is expecting a widescreen signal (equivalent of AE100`s WIDE priority)

9. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Perhaps Chris has an idea there but dont forget you have to redo the powerstrip bit after you've done the new drivers.

10. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    This is going to put me in a home for the insane!!!

I tried using the GDW900 Sony monitor but it still gives me a scrollable desktop. I assume that if the graphics card is accepting the 1368x768 @56hrz there would be no advantage to changing my graphics card.

When I go into system comtrol panel I see two monitors, Default Monitor and Sony GDW900. If I remove the default it just reinstalls it at the next boot up. I even did a full format and reinstall this morning and it made no difference. Perhaps there is something I should be doing to the HS10.

BTW does everybody's HS10 not allow u to change the aspect ratio when using the computer input?

Please any hely on this would be greatly appreciated

Conor

11. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    So if I get you right then your seeing the centre 4:3 part of the widescreen 1368*768 and its working in a pan and scan fashion?

I just use the standrad windows driver in xpsp1 with the check box "uhide modes this monitor doesn't support" unchecked.

AFAIK there is no widescreen/fullscreen switching on the hs10 when in PC mode.

What happens if you feeed it 1076*768, is that okay?

12. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Powerstrip seems to accept the resolution but it gives me this wide desktop.

If I go into the info. menu of the HS10 it's showing 85.10 refresh rate at 1024X768 so I went back into powerstrip and into Advanced timing settings and changed the refresh rate to 56hrz. The desktop then moved to the left of the screen (still scrollable as described above) with a vertical black bar to it's right. Now when I go into the info. menu of the HS10 it shows 56.5 refresh and 1366X768.

What is the cheapest graphics card that people are using that definately supports this resolution.

Thanks for all the help so far but I think that I'm almost at the point of trying a new graphics card. The problem with that is that I am also considering a prog scan DVD instead of the PC. This would give much smoother pans and I'm not sure that I'd really notice the difference in picture quality

Conor

13. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    are you using a radeon?

14. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Yep, a Redeon VE. But it's an old card and perhaps is not up to the job. What is the cheapest radeon that people are using to get this resolution. I never use the PC for games so something too powerful (and expensive) would be overkill.

Conor

15. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
  16. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Thanks for all your help John

I think I'll have a look at a new graphics card.

Conor

17. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Conor.

Sorry to hear you're having problems :(

If I can be of any assistance, don't hesitate to call me (missed you yesterday).

If you want to bring down your rig to my place & try it here, you're more than welcome.

Chat soon.

18. ChrisAllenFiz

ChrisAllenFiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I really don`t think its the card. I had the same problem, and I managed to sort it out (radeon 9000 btw). I just wish I could remember how. I would try removing the monitors and the graphics card from the hardware list using add/remove hardware, and then reboot and see if it detects them on plug and play.

Chris

19. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Thanks all for your help on this (particularly Kramer who rang me at the w/end when he heard I was in trouble, despite his very sad loss) but I finally solved the problem by upgrading to Windows XP. Alot better than buying a new graphics card.

I'm not going to post a "My impressions of the HS10 thread" as this has been covered before. But I will say here that this is an excellent piece of kit with a HCPC. I can't make a fair comparison to the Tosh MT3 as I have changed all the software on the PC but I am very surprised at how smooth thge pans are and absolutely no tearing or vertical banding. Shadow detail is improved beyond my expcetations over svideo and I am just so pleased with my purchase

I watched a few movies over the w/end on svideo and for the first time since getting into this front projection lark, my memories are of the movies not all the imperfections I noticed while watching...and that's what it's supposed to be all about. But now with the PC as a source, it's like being there (a few beers helps this illusion)

Conor

20. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Comer,

Glad your sorted, didn't think to ask what OS.

The only trouble with it being this good though is you begin to really notice the special effects as opposed to the real bits.:)