1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Powerstrip Refresh Rates

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by helipilot, Dec 8, 2001.

1. helipilot

helipilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I use Powerstrip 3.02 to configure My HCPC to 1280 x 720 for watching DVD's. I have created two profiles one at 72Hz for NTSC (Region 1) and one at 75Hz for PAL (Region 2). As I created the profiles I assigned a memory bank for each in my Projector a GE 901E (NEC 9pg). The first thing I noticed was that the projector saw a slightly higher refresh rate than Powerstrip was setting (only a couple of Hertz). This did not really bother me as I could adjust the refresh rate so that the projector saw the frequency I required.

The problem is this :- When I change from my 72Hz profile to my 75Hz profile (or vice versa) nothing happens at the HCPC. The system stays locked in at 72Hz (or 75Hz). I have to manually configure Powerstrip each time I want to change refresh rate. It is as if the refresh rate is not part of the stored profile created by powerstrip.

I have tried this on two seperate systems with exactly the same results.

System 1 - Athlon 650, Matrox G400 TV, Windows 98 SE. Ilyama Monitor

System 2 - Athlon 1400, Radeon 64Mb DDR, Windows ME. CRT Projector

I want to eventually automate the system via my pronto so I really need to get these profiles working.

Anyone else come across this problem ?
    Have I been unlucky in that both my systems cause a similar glitch in Powerstrip ?
    Have I missed something in setting up Powerstrip ?

Any help will be appreciated

thanks

2. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sadly Powerstrip doesn't let you store the same resolution with different refresh rates. If I were you I would set up 1280x720 for use with NTSC and then create a new resolution of say 1366x768 for PAL then you can get it to change the refresh rate as well.

Note that the 768 is a goodish multiple (4/3) of 576 so might be better anyway. For both you might want to experiment with 1440 horizontal pixels but the ones above should give you square pixels at 16:9

John

3. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Having had this problem myself I was hoping that registering Powerstrip might solve the problem. Is that not the case?

Cheers
    Alex

4. helipilot

helipilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I have discovered the solution via a post on the Powerstrip forum which was only posted this morning! Basically you create a shortcut to powerstrip with the appropriate parameters to give you the required resolution and refresh rate.

more details can be obtained here :-

http://pub28.ezboard.com/fentechfrm1.showMessage?topicID=234.topic

but this is how I interpreted it :-

To switch among multiple timings for a single resolution, you can do so by accessing the Powerstrip 3 developers' API via standard Windows shortcuts and the command-line. Here's how:

1. PowerStrip menu > Display profiles > Configure
    2. Switch to the resolution you want to customize (if necessary)
    3. Click "Advanced timing options"
    4. Adjust timing parameter as needed
    5. Click "Apply" button, and then click the "Copy" (to clipboard) button
    6. Open Notepad and paste the timing from the clipboard - Edit menu > Paste
    7. Create a Windows shortcut to PowerStrip, by reight-clicking anywhere on the Windows desktop > New > Shortcut
    8. When the "Create shortcut" dialog box appears, click Browse and point Windows to the pstrip.exe file on your HDD
    9. After the shortcut is created, right-click the shortcut on your desktop and select "Properties"
    10. Append to the "Target" field the command-line parameter "/T:", followed by the PowerStrip timing parameters from Notepad, e.g.,

Here's what goes into notepad from Powerstrip 3

PowerStrip timing parameters:
    1280x720=1280,80,80,208,720,5,5,20,92700,2128

Generic timing details for 1280x720:
    HFP=80 HSW=80 HBP=208 kHz=56 VFP=5 VSW=5 VBP=20 Hz=75

Linux modeline parameters:
    "1280x720" 92.700 1280 1360 1440 1648 720 725 730 750 +hsync +vsync

Here's the shortcut command line and parameter list that I use for 1280 x 720 at 75Hz

"C:\Program Files\PowerStrip\PStrip.exe" /T:1280,80,80,208,720,5,5,20,92700,2128

Repeat steps 4 thru 10 for as many timings as needed.

I hope this will help others set up their HCPC's as this must be something many of us need to do.

5. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Fantastic Alan
    Thank you very much!

It now makes sense when people on AVS post their resolutions in this format.

I shall try to implement this before tonight's movie (PAL)

Cheers
    Alex

6. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Update: Set it all up last night and it works flawlessly!
    Well done!

I might check out a few of the suggested 'scoped' settings that they use over at avs - there's plenty of people with the barco projectors :)