Powerstrip/LCD TV resolution problem

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by sarpal, Mar 26, 2006.

1. sarpal

sarpal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It's driving me potty. I read the threads etc and my limited understanding of the process is letting me down; please help!

I have a Sony KDL-V40A12U panel hooked up to my HTPC via a DVI to HDMI interconnect. Using Powerstrip I can set various resolutions but can't get any of them to completely fill the screen. The manual says that the display resolution is 1366 x 768 but I can only get that at 60Hz and anyway it gives me black boarders. The alternatives spill over the screen and so I'm missing the edges! Previous threads have shown me that I need to have the refresh at 50Hz for watching TV (as demonstrated when watching the ticker tape on News 24). As you can tell I'm definitely a noob at this so please be gentle with me :rolleyes:

Is it possible to set/select a resolution that will fill the screen, or use Powerstrip to stretch (?) to fill and all at 50Hz?

Intel 3.2 P4 HT64
    Intel mobo
    ATI X800GT (Radeon Catalyst 6.2)

All with latest drivers

Thanks,

2. craigae

craigae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    In the latest ATI drivers, there should be something called overscan compensation. You need to set a resolution that spills over the screen, then use the overscan controls to fill to the edges of the screen. It seems like a cludge, and it's not the behavior i'd expect from windows, but apparently this is what you need to do with MCE/HDMI. Other computers running XP thru VGA have all worked flawlessly on my plasma, so the problem your having really threw me. I'm still not convinced its the best solution, but it works.

3. MartinH32

MartinH32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +803
    I would be interested to know if you get this working properly. I have the same graphics card and I have just about given up on my HTPC because I cannot get the screen / refresh to work correctly.:(

4. sarpal

sarpal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a go when I can get near it (wife access :rolleyes:) and let you know the results.

5. sarpal

sarpal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Still trying, still struggling. I can't find Overscan compensation in either ATI or PS (probably don't know what I'm looking for) though I've tried to use the techniques here http://htpcnews.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12393 When I find the solution (note the confidence) I'll pass it on.

6. craigae

craigae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
  7. sarpal

sarpal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  8. sarpal

sarpal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    MartinH32; OK. so I've given up, I've tried all the various resolutions (well nearly) and trying to change the over/underscan only results in a black screen or no change the the size (?) so it's either the ATI card or the Sony panel. Either way I've had enough. I never intended to use it as the primary online method and with MCE it's fine. May be one day I'll pluck up the courage to have another go - or just change the card. If I ever sort it I'll let you know.