Powerstrip and PW6

S

spencer

I have a Panasonic 42PW6 and an ATI Radion 9800 graphics card.
I have been reading old threads that indicate many graphics cards cannot use 852x480 resolution to match the screen.

They will be connected via VGA. (So no DVI complications)

I am planning to spend time over the weekend trying to get some sort of picture onto the PW6!

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Is 1:1 mapping an option for me?
Can anyone let me know there settings?
Should I be installing any other software?

I am willing to learn fast and would appreciate any input from others that have this set up.

IIRC the native res for your plasma is not available through the standard ATI drivers. You will then need to use Powerstrip. Do a search on this forum for best timings etc. You should be able to get 1:1.

Powerstrip is free but you get an annoying message each time you start it up which you can get rid of by paying them a little money.

I have a Pioneer plasmas so no use telling you my settings.

'Fraid I don't know the problems cards may have with that resolution nor do I have experience with the Panny, however if it's possible then Powerstrip is the utility you'll need, it's shareware so you can try it before shelling out for it.

[edit] beaten to it, however here's the link to PStrip. :)

I have tryed searching on this site and others for recomended settings and have found nothing yet. All I have found is people asking the same question as me and with no answers!

I have pages and pages of instructions on how to acheive settings. I thought that my set up was common enough for someone to have already perfected the settings.

If anyone can help I would be very grateful. :lease:

We`managed to get powerstrip to drive my panny series 4 at the same resolutions ... hopefully paublo will still have the settings on his htpc and post here ...

rgds

Jon

I talked a friend through EXACTLY this problem last night. We settled on 856x480 in the end and he said it looked great :) For some reason, 852x480 gave him loads of underscan all the way around :confused:

Just install Powerstrip and give the built in resolutions a try :)

Dave

Hi Spencer.

I have a PWD6 plasma driven via VGA by my HTPC. I was initialy suprised to hear that you can't get true 1:1 pixel mapping for the screen, even when using powerstrip.

What I have found however, is that the internal scaler seems very good at downscaling images. A friend advised me to use 600p (1066 * 600 @ 50hz) for PAL stuff and 720p (1280 * 720 @ 60hz) for NTSC stuff. I must say that I am VERY impressed with the results so far.

I will say that when you first send the screen these resolutions, they need some aligning with the screen size/position function on the remote to get a perfect fit. I used Powerstrip to obtain these resolutions.

Cheers

Rob

I have a Geforce 6800 GT in my HCPC and i can get the drivers to to a custom resolution of 856x480 for the Panny Series 6 no need for Powerstrip and it looks so sharp (connected via DVI)

the text is crystal you could easily surf the net on it etc (although i dont as i have a TFT as well)

I mainly use it for DVDs and Gaming from the PC

With that graphics card you can get either 848 or 856 but not 852 (even if powerstrip is saying that's what is showing!)

My advice would be to go with the 856x480 res. I would point out that the Panny's picture positioning tools do have a dramatic effect when trying to get the best picture when using Powerstrip.

Hi
I've got a Panny series 4 and had the same problem with a radeon9500 your only options are 856x480 and 848x480 the reason was explained to me ages ago,I use 856x480 with good results via powerstrip.
If you want I'll post the timings over the weekend
Rob

Thanks for all your comments.
At least I now know what can and can't be acheived.
Rob - If you have time to post your timings, that would be great!
Thanks again
Spencer.

Spencer,

I don't have the exact timings, as I just created a new resolution in powerstrip, and specified the resolution and refresh rate myself.

Cheers

Rob

I've been struggling for ages to get 1:1 pixel matching at 50Hz, and I've just about given up.

I can easily get 1:1 pixel matching at 60Hz by selecting one of the predefined 848x480 resolutions in Powerstrip and then moving the picture around slightly to centre it.

However, there aren't any predefined 480p 50Hz settings, so I've been trying to create my own. Most of the time I can get a picture, but its shifted so far across and up the screen that I can't centre it correctly. Does anyone have any settings that work properly?

BTW, I'm using an ATI 9800 Pro video card with the latest ATI drivers, into a TH-42PWD6 plasma...

Cheers
Chris

I have a similar experience to an earlier post, namely that feeding the PW6 with 1600x900 75Hz signal or even slightly lower resolution seems to give a better picture than trying for 1:1 pixel mapping.

jrpavel said:
I have a similar experience to an earlier post, namely that feeding the PW6 with 1600x900 75Hz signal or even slightly lower resolution seems to give a better picture than trying for 1:1 pixel mapping.

Thanks for the advice - I'll give it a go over the weekend.

Will 75Hz work smoothly with no FRC?

Cheers
Chris

Heres my Powerstrip 1:1 settings for 50hz on my PW5 from another post.

You will need to reposition the screen via the remote slightly but thisd gives me an excellent PQ :)

Hi

Loads of peeps have asked me for these Powerstrip timings for a while. Sorry, been really busy with work

These give me as close to 1:1 on my PW5 with a Radeon 9600

Here they are finally. Go to Powerstrip - advanced timings - paste from clipboard icon (having copied these to the clipboard in advance)

PowerStrip timing parameters:
848x480=848,24,88,96,480,1,3,13,26242,274

Generic timing details for 848x480:
HFP=24 HSW=88 HBP=96 kHz=25 VFP=1 VSW=3 VBP=13 Hz=50

Linux modeline parameters:
"848x480" 26.242 848 872 960 1056 480 481 484 497 -hsync +vsync

Let me know how you get on !!

PS: No mention in your post of how you are getting the signal into your HTPC. I'm using Dscaler for de-interlacing/scaling - I'd highly recommend it (as do many others)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom