Powerstrip, and NTSC playback

UrbanT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Something that has been puzzling me for some time. I use an HCPC, with TT2.01, and an Hitachi TX100 projector.

I use both R1 and R2 discs, which play flawlessly. However, I have read many times about people using powerstrip to set 50hz and 60hz settings.

What advantage does this have?

I'm using Cats 4.9, standard 1280x720 res @ 60 hz for info.

I'm intrigued :cool:

It's to do with the frame-rate of the source material.

PAL video runs at 25 fps and NTSC at 30 fps, if played back at a refresh rate which isn't an exact multiple of that you will get 'stuttering' and other video glitches, the degree to which they're noticeable depends on many factors .. it's most noticeable with wide camera pans where you'll notice the scene doesn't glide seamlessly but instead will stutter briefly.

Whether you can use 50hz depends on the display, many projectors for example won't accept a 50hz signal via DVI, but if yours can then you may get better results from trying to set the refresh appropriately.

Thanks, thats exactly how I understood it, but I haven't noticed any juddering. Think I'll leave it alone on the basis that if its not broke, don't fix it :)

I have to say I too don't see juddering very much .. I'm mainly conscious of it if I play a DVD using the component output of my DVD player then play the same sequence via DVI .. my projector accepts 50hz via analog but only 60hz via digital connections.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom