1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Powerstrip and Laptops

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by joust, Oct 11, 2003.

1. joust

joust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Hi all,

Considering buying a laptop with a radeon 9600 graphics card onboard. The laptop may have a dual use to run my projector (Pany Ae100) in my front room (for maximum DVD quality :D ), but I need to run a custom resolution and timings using powerstrip. Do any of you guys know if this is possible with such a graphics card in a laptop?????

TIA

Joust

2. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,679
    Yep, I run Powerstrip on my Sony Vaio with a Radeon Mobility card into my Panny Ae100. No probs and looks great.

3. joust

joust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Cheers m8 for that. How do you have it set up? Can you run it as a dual screen or do you alt+F5 to display to external screen and then apply the powerstrip timings?

Cheers

Joust

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Joust,

When I was using my laptop (quite some moons ago) I had it set to 858x480 resolution, and then F5 to toggle between the laptop screen and the AE100. If you have the laptop in XGA resolution, the AE100 will display it, so F5 will still toggle between the two displays; if it's showing a desktop scaled from XGA on the AE100, then you just select the 858x480 res in Display/Settings, and the AE100 will synch with it fine.

Sean G.

5. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    I tried this yesterday with my Vaio (radeon 7500 chipset). Used the powerstrip settings from this forum for the AE100 and the LCD screen showed it OK (actually blew it up and had virtual scroll on, but it was visible).

Then I used fn+F7 to switch to external display, switched the AE100 to 'Wide' priority and it worked fine.

Picture was very good, and comparable to my Philips 963SA. I used Toy Story 2 and played it back on both the DVD player and laptop (ripped the first few chapters to the Hard disk)

Don't think its better enough to stop using the DVD player, but I'm definitely impressed.

6. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,679
    Richard - what DVD software are you using on the Vaio? I love the video quality from the laptop and I use TheaterTek. Granted I don't have a Philips 963SA dvd player, just a pioneer via s-video, but I can't go back to this, not after the HCPC route.

Is the Philips really thay good?

Cheers

7. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    I was just using the supplied WinDVD for Vaio. I hadn't calibrated the laptop/projector with Avia either (I have for the philips)

The picture on the philips 963 is really good. the combination of the two seems to be really good, for me anyway.

I was thinking about using the laptop, and just putting it where the DVD player is whenever I want to watch a movie, and having a USB optical output. Shouldnt' be too much hassle to use. I'll stick with my DVD player for now, but its definitely showed me that PCs are very capable these days - even non souped up like my laptop.

I think the main difference is the use of component and progressive scan. S-video was bad when I used it, so I even have my Sky through a ProV to convert to SVGA.

8. joust

joust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the responses. Just one last question, what did you use to get the SPDIF signal to your AV amp?

Cheers

Joust

9. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,679
    I use a USB audio interface. I think its by Edirol (cost about £50). It has both optical and co-axial digital in/out. It does the job fine. Its only 16bit though so I'm not sure if it can handle a 24/96 DTS soundtrack - I think I tried the one on "Seven" and no joy.

Still it was a quick and easy way to get a digital signal to my amp. If I buy/build a dedicated HCPC (rather than my laptop from work) then I'll probably upgrade to a better soundcard that has 24/96 capability for future proofing.

Cheers