PowerMid ?

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by antsplan, Sep 16, 2004.

1. antsplan

antsplan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All

Need some help on this product. It essentially converst IR to RF and back to IR again. Has anyone used this or other similar products.

The problem, I am mounting a plasma panel in one room on the wall and my girlfriend has decided that AMP, SKY + and DVD player have to be out of site. The plan is to set these devices up in another room. Obviously I want to control these devices from my sofa in front of my new tele but what is the best way to do this.

The powermid has been reccommended to me but im just not sure that im happy with the IR to RF to IR conversion and am thinking a hard wired solution may be better. Also does this work with Sky + ?

All suggestions/reccomendations welcome.

Thanks in advance.

2. Gooba

Gooba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I use a PowerMid to control all my AV gear including Sky+. This works fine but I would assume that a hard-wired solution would be better. You could for instance hide all the kit in a cupboard and use stick-on emitters. I have heard good things about xantech kit which is available from a few online retailers in the UK. I have used LetsAutomate www.letsautomate.co.uk for bits and pieces before and they have been very helpful with advice.

HTH

John

3. antsplan

antsplan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many Thanks Gooba, will give this some more thought.

4. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    I have been using Powermid's for about 7 or so years,and they work transparently - no different in my expierence than actually pointing at the device itself.I use them when watching tv in the bedroom,and they work great for changing channels - beats the hell out of going downstairs starkers to change stations !!!! :eek:

5. kingcobbler

kingcobbler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Yep, totally agree. I use Powermids to control a second sky unit stored in the loft which distributes the signal along with the analogue signal throughout the house. Then have a powermid in the loft and in every receiving room, very simple and very effective. Just need to have a sky remote in every room, else you still wander around the house looking for a remote to chnage channel :laugh:

6. antsplan

antsplan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all you guys.

I have now purchased the power mid and am over the moon with it.

Regards

Ant

7. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
  8. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Yep, i have sky + and a powermid.

Also, worth a mention..I have all my equipment in a cupboard... as the equipment is on different shelves I use an extender that plugs in the back of the powermid. It basically takes a few wires out of the powermid which then can be stuck, using blue-tack, on the remote sensors of equipment. So mine controls...sky+, amp, dvd, iscan, quattro+ etc etc

Jus.

9. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    thinking about it....I think there is a problem with cable tv. I don't think their remotes transmit proper IR - can't remember what the exact problem is...perhaps they're getting confused with that....or just want to sell you more :rolleyes:

sky+ will work no problem.

10. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The only problem you are likely to have is with a plasma TV, because plasmas emit a lot of infra-red, and it floods the sensors.

11. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Can you give me some more info not sure I understand. You're in a different room from your sky box and tv and you're changing channels and expecting the powermid to transmit the picture to another tv? or you've got the sky box wired to another tv in a different room but you're not getting a picture.

I'm guessing it's the second. It sounds like you may not have your sky set to transmit from whatever connection you are using...or perhaps got it set to rgb and your tv isn't rgb??