Powerline with Time Capsule Wifi

MIB

I have a home office / cinema room in the garden. To get wifi in the room I use ethernet powerline system to send the internet down the power cables (still boggles the brain how this works) and then I plug an ethernet cable from the power line into a very old Apple Time Capsule (over 10 years old) which generates a wifi network.

In the house I get 40-60mb with Sky broadband on wifi. In the garden room I get 10-20mb (this is mainly ok, but I may want to stream 4k and think I need a faster speed). Now I imagine the signal degrades a bit as it goes through the powercables, but my question is, could the old Time Capsule be part of the reason why the speed is so much slower? If I buy a modern gadget to generate the wifi signal could this increase the speed?

Last edited:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
The speed of network links are independent of each other so it's not about preserving a signal but rather that the speed of the data transmission across multiple links is bottlenecked by whichever is the slowest.

It could be a few of them, your old access point (the time capsule) is certainly a potential cause, although if it's only ten years old I'd suspect the powerline is more likely.

You can connect to at different points in the chain to check though. If you unplug the ethernet cable from the time capsule and plug it into your computer and then run a speed speed on the computer that'll tell you whether the time capsule is the limiting factor.

MIB

@EndlessWaves thanks for the reply. Tried plugging in ethernet cable into laptop and still only get 16mb so assume it's not the time capsule, it's the power lines. The garden Room is only 5-10 meters from the house so would my best bet be to try to route an ethernet cable from the main router in the house to the time capsule in the garden room? Don't fancy drilling holes though. Any other options to try?

Cheers

Peeej

Had similar situation here, shed in teh garden about 5m from the house, powerline was OK for a while buit eventually gave in and laid a cable, the difference is night and day.

I'd strongly advise that is the best way to go.

MIB

Thanks @Peeej thought that was probably the way to go. Assume it need to be outdoor grade and protected with some sort of casing?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
@EndlessWaves thanks for the reply. Tried plugging in ethernet cable into laptop and still only get 16mb so assume it's not the time capsule, it's the power lines. The garden Room is only 5-10 meters from the house so would my best bet be to try to route an ethernet cable from the main router in the house to the time capsule in the garden room? Don't fancy drilling holes though. Any other options to try?

Cheers

Which powerline units do you have? If they're an old standard then using more capable models could potentially improve the speed by 3-4x. Don't expect a great deal more than that though.

The only other solution that could be placed inside the house is wi-fi. If the router is the other side of the house to the garden then an access point on the closest wall of the house may work. You could go for a wirelessly connected access point (often called range extenders or boosters) if the wi-fi signal is reasonable there or you could go for an ethernet connected one and connect it to your router with the powerlines - which do vary in speed by location so may be sufficient at that location.

You can get point to point wi-fi setups where you have two units and directional antennas but you'd typically mount them on an outside wall - and if drilling into a wall is your main barrier to installing ethernet then they don't make a lot of sense.

MIB

@EndlessWaves They are TP LINK AV1200 gigabit passthrough . Are you saying newer ones could 3 times faster or 3mb faster?

I tried moving the router to the back of the house and have a WiFi extender in the garden room but that didn't work

Cheers

BigPappaF

Standard Member
Been there while making my own office in the Shed (THE SHOFFICE) last year.

To be clear - I should know better, worked in IT (Networking and Infrastructure) for 20+ years!

I've used Powerline adapters for a long time, and they are ok for what they do; super new ones are a lot better than the old 1st/2nd gen ones. I planned to do the same as you, terrible results.

Should have done exactly what my experience told me to do in the 1st place and ended up running an armoured Cat6 cable to the Shoffice. Results were night and day. TLDR: Don't skimp, run a cable. Even a cheap network switch and good length/quality cable comes in at less than £50 and will give you a way better experience.

Biggest problem I have is power supplies on old Time Machines, they are prone to failure and you are playing roulette on replacements off eBay. But they aren't hard to fit. /shrug

F

MIB

Cheers @BigPappaF

Don't know why I didn't run ethernet cable when I had the room built 6 years ago. I had power and sky cables run into the room!

Think I'll just suck it up and do a retro install, luckily my mate is good at DIY and can help with drilling when lockdown eases.

Cheers for advise all

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom