Powerline to WiFi dongle thing

leo79

I've just bought 2 tp link powerline to get Internet to my workshop. I've hooked a laptop up with ethernet connection and all good.
However, I only want it for phone use and alexa speakers so I need a dongle/adaptor I can plug into the ethernet port on the powerline to convert it to WiFi?
Loads of stuff on amazon but they all seem to act as a WiFi repeater which I don't think is what I need?
Any suggestions always appreciated.
Thanks

cjed

What you want is called a WiFi Access Point, and you can get them built-in to powerline plugs (for example, TP-Link do a number, like this one.) You can sometime re-purpose an old broadband router as an Access Point (see the sticky thread on using two routers at the top of this forum). There are also stand-alone APs, that plug into ethernet, such as the Ubiquiti Unify range, or the BT Whole Home WiFi discs. There's a huge range available that vary in features, and which type of WiFi (single or dual band) they provide.

sep8001

What you want is called a WiFi Access Point, and you can get them built-in to powerline plugs (for example, TP-Link do a number, like this one.) You can sometime re-purpose an old broadband router as an Access Point (see the sticky thread on using two routers at the top of this forum). There are also stand-alone APs, that plug into ethernet, such as the Ubiquiti Unify range, or the BT Whole Home WiFi discs. There's a huge range available that vary in features, and which type of WiFi (single or dual band) they provide.
If you have a spare router, the above suggestions will the the cheapest option.

leo79

If you have a spare router, the above suggestions will the the cheapest option.
I've got a spare EE router knocking about. I'll dig that out and have a read up on the sticky. Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom