Powerline advice

nethm

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, first sorry for my nonperfect english.
I have a problem with powerline and i really dont have nerve now.
I have tp link av500, i have 80mbps speed from my network provider. But powerline gives me 50, this is ok. But it happens than suddenly internet stop work, i dont know why. Because my pc is on my powerstrip, and this is plugged on powerline adapter socket i was think this is the problem. So we made new sockets, i put only powerline in one socket and i expected performace at least not to stutter anymore. But now speed is 30! I really lost my nerve, now i have a question.
Do u have advices? Should i buy a something like av1300 or i should get a wifi card?
My router is on living room is in the upstairs room.
Thanks.

If you want the fastest and most reliable data networking, then you need to get the drill our and install some "proper" UTP cabling and run ethernet over it.

Powerline performance is highly dependent on the quality of your mains electricity environment and as that was never designed for data transmission, you can expect it to be less that ideal. It's influenced by things like the quality of the install (for example kinks in the cables set up standing waves,) interference from radio (it has nothing to protect it) and the effect of any noisy devices connected to it - for example dimmer switches are often cited as being problematic. Because there are so many variables it's impossible to predict how any given use case will perform.

Wi-Fi is similar in that it is highly dependent on the shape and structures of your building, any local interference sources, the number of devices you have and so on. Again, it's impossible to predict how well it will work for any given use case. (Even with some of the best pre-installation surveys and modelling tools in the world, sometimes when we turn it in it just doesn't work how we thought it was going to.)

So there's just no way to predict which is going to work best - you'd just have to suck it and see. We only know that wired ethernet is better than either.

Last edited:
As per mickevh's reply, the mains cabling is the overriding factor. You could try to confirm this by temporarily using a mains extension cable to make the shortest possible path from PC to router (via stairs or windows) using the AV500s. Make sure the extension router-end AV500 is on the same spur or ring main as the router's own AV500. If there is a vast improvement then that proves it is the mains installation that is the bottleneck.

If your PC is older, the network card could be 100Mbps not 1Gpbs perhaps?

Last edited:
Now i am confused even more.
I get AV1300, and speeds are 30 mbps.
In beggining i get 70, but next day it drop to 30 and dont want to go higher.
I dont change anything, speed drop alone to 30.
Advices?

I don't think you've provided any new information that changes the previous advice. Perhaps acknowledge and respond to it?

I was experiencing low speeds and drop outs in a new build. I was originally using tplink, the fastest available at the time (can't remember which).
These were using a broadcom chip. I did a bit of digging and found switching to plugs with a qualcomm chip can help.

I bought some Cheap Tenda ph6 plugs and all my issues disappeared. So do a bit of digging and maybe try that as an option if ethernet is absolutely not an option.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom