Powerline adapters connection to outside garage advice

Swaite

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi!

Been researching and cannot find a clear answer so I'm hoping someone has actually experienced this, so I've moved home roughly 20 ft from my new house is a large double garage with a huge room above I'm turning into my office. I used 4 TP link powerline adapters in my old house and was hoping to do so in my new house too.

So does anyone know will the power link adapters connect to the garage from the house? The builder says both buildings are on the same circuit however the main house has a breaker box as does the garage although a much smaller box.My fibre is installed on 2nd march so I'm unsure whether to get installed straight to the garage and connect to house from their or visa versa. I work from home so its essential I have a solid internet connection.

Thanks in advance

If you are having Virgin Fibre, good luck trying to get them installing the hub in the garage. I tried to get them to run the cable to the back of my house which would have meant them climbing up a ladder & over a flat roof.
They said they couldn't because of health & safety.

Its BT the open reach guy is awesome hes already asked me if I want it their. It's been a balance getting the fibre they had to install 3 poles and have had to arrange cherry pickers for the 2nd

The answer is probably but you well only find out by testing. Personally I’d get it connected to the house and then look at options to connect to the garage. If you have Line Of Sight you could always use a pair of Nano Loco M5s between the house and garage if 150Mbps would be fast enough?

My garage is on a separate circuit to the house and powerline adaptors work fine there.
But it is very much down to the individual house wiring, so you will only really know by trying it!

I would also say what are you going to have in the garage vs the house.

If it proper fibre then at higher speeds you are going to struggle potentially to get the full bandwidth over home plugs.

I had this situation.
I got an electrician to fit a socket to the smaller board for the garage then a TP link on each end.
Cat5 cable from the switch in the loft plugs into one end and in the garage I reused a TP link router to extend the wifi.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom