Powerline Adapter Question

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by laserbeam, Jul 8, 2019.

1. laserbeam

laserbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I have been looking at getting some pass through power line adapters for a while and would like to get the following.I only need them to speed up our two Laptops as where they are used is too far from the router.A couple of basic questions will I need 2 ethernet cables 1 to connect each laptop to the adapters or do I need 3.Will these be suitable for my requirements.It says something about gaming on their description does that matter.As it does not say they come with ethernet cables I will have to get them myself but not sure what to get. I did have a post on in June about ethernet cables.
    TP-Link TL-PA8010P AV1200 Gigabit Passthrough Powerline Gaming Plug 1200Mbps X 3 6935364033118 | eBay

2. laserbeam

laserbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
  3. laserbeam

laserbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
  4. MarkyPancake

MarkyPancake
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,849
    You need three cables and three adapters if the adapter only has one port on it. So, one adapter and cable goes near one laptop and plugs into its Ethernet port, another adapter and cable goes near the other laptop and then the final adapter and cable goes near the router and plugs into one of its Ethernet ports.

In real world use, it's highly unlikely you'll reach the max speed the adapters are capable of, but I would still use an Ethernet cable that's at least good for a Gigabit, such as Cat 5e, or preferably a more modern standard like Cat 6a or newer.

Ethernet cables come in all shapes and sizes. Here's what you need to know

5. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,926
    You get a 2M cable with each adapter. You will only need to replace these if you want something longer or more robust.

6. laserbeam

laserbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    2M WOULD BE FINE

7. laserbeam

laserbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Would the ones in my third post be suitable

8. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,926
    They are basically the same as what's in the box when you get the adapters.

9. DavidG1

DavidG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    The eBay listing confirms that the kit comes with x3 2m Ethernet cables. Buying different 2m Ethernet cables is unlikely to make a significant difference. Wait until you get the kit try it out, no need to buy anything else.
    Of much more significance is the distance between the powerline adapters, whether they are on the same ring main and the amount of electrical interference on the mains. You should also plug each adapter directly into the wall socket not an extension lead. As MarkyPancake says you won’t get the advertised 1200 rate. What the number does describe is the ‘Total, Fully loaded back-bone physical rate’, sometimes called the PHY rate. The data throughput rate between any pair of devices will be significantly less than the PHY rate, the difference is due to packet overheads and other complex details but it is normal to represent networking equipment this way. You should expect up to a third of the PHY rate under ideal circumstances.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  10. laserbeam

laserbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    One other question regarding pairing which is the best way to pair the three adapters.Do I plug them all in near to each other then press the pair button and if so dos it matter what sequence I press the buttons.Thanks again.If they come with 2 m cables will not bother getting new ones

11. skyline32

skyline32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Beware powerline adaptors can cause intereference with ADSL/VDSL signals. In my previous house I had no problems but in the rental I'm in now I tried three different sets and had to send them back, the download speed dropped from 44 to 18 Mbit/s and the router was dumping frequent warnings into its syslog.

In the end I had to use wi-fi bridges for my wired-only devices.

12. DavidG1

DavidG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    They well already be paired up out of the box, if not you normally plug two of them together into a double socket, press the pairing button on one of them to start the sequence and then press the paired button on the other to complete the process. You then add the third adapter similarly. It is difficult to be precise there may be minor differences beteween brands, but they all come with full setup guide or can be downloaded from the manufacturers website

13. laserbeam

laserbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I have just received the three adapters with three 2m Ethernet cables but no instructions.So if I plug two next to each other press the pairing button on one then press the pairing button on the second one is that correct.I then plug the third one in do I then press the pair button on that. one.

14. laserbeam

laserbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I have just plugged the first two adapters in I pressed the pairing button the first one and the top two lights lit up I then pressed the pairing button the second one the same tow lights are lit up but the top one is flashing is that correct.

15. DavidG1

DavidG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
  16. laserbeam

laserbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I have the three adapters plugged in the first one I connected to the router with the ethernet cable I then connected this laptop to the second adapter again with a ethernet cable and the my wifes laptop with the third adapter.The first two are now showing three green lights but there are no lights showing on the adapter connected to my wifes laptop would anyone know what the problem may be and how to solve it.Thanks

17. DavidG1

DavidG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    If there are no lights at all on the the third adapter, ensure there is power going to the wall socket and it is switched on. If necessary try on a different socket. Try unplugging the adapter and then plugging in again or do a reset by holding down the pair button for more than 15s. If still no better the adapter is probably dead, so you would need to contact the ebay seller and return the kit.

18. laserbeam

laserbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I have just put my wifes laptop in the kitchen and plugged the adapter in a adjacent socket and now the top (1st)light is on the middle (2nd) light is off and the bottom light is on.Will now put it back where it was and see what happens.

19. DavidG1

DavidG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    At least it’s not dead then

20. laserbeam

laserbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Have put it back where my wife has it and plugged it in still the same two lights on.
    Did a broadband speed test these are what I got when was connected it where my wife has it 12.28,12.78 and 14.89 Mbps then I connected it where my laptop is and did the speed test again and got the following readings 35.66,35.54 and 35.70 Mbps.My adapter as the three lights showing.

21. laserbeam

laserbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Have put it back where my wife has it and plugged it in still the same two lights on.
    Did a broadband speed test these are what I got when was connected it where my wife has it 12.28,12.78 and 14.89 Mbps then I connected it where my laptop is and did the speed test again and got the following readings 35.66,35.54 and 35.70 Mbps.My adapter as the three lights showing.