1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Powering up from power outs

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Dak, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Dak

Dak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi
    I want to use a Denon 3803 power out to power up a Linn Kairn when the Denon is turned on (and the Kairn will in turn auto turn on 2x Linn LK140's). I.e. when I remotely turn on the Denon 3803 it will send power to the Kairn (the mains on switch will need to stay on) and then the music signal automatically powers up the LK140's anyway.

Will leaving the Kairn permanently turned on or being powered up in this way harm it? Or the LK140's or the speakers coem to that?

Thanks
    Dak

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The LK140's should be signal sensing and have a dial to set how sensitive they are. That just leaves the Kairn. I think you can get an RS232 board for this, but I don't think you can get the Denon to output commands this way.

What remote do you have?

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    In short.....no harm should come to the Kairn or the LKs used this way..after all,Linn did design the preamp and power amps to be used in standby like this.
    If you have any further doubts,Linn's telephone helpdesk is superb....I've used them a few times and have nothing but praise for them.

4. Dak

Dak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, I have been in touch with Linn who say:

"Regrettably, it is not possible for the Kairn pre-amplifier to be
    configured to go into stand by - only manual operation will power the product off. Our AV5103 and Kisto System Controllers and Klimax Kontrol pre-amplifier can be placed into stand by using the remote control handset. Further details on these products can be found on our website, www.linn.co.uk, on the main page under the section 'How to buy Linn'."

Fair enough. My work round idea is that the Denon 3803 has a power out 3 pin mains socket and so if I run a mains cable from this to the Kairn, when the Denon is powered up then the Kairn will be, as long as I keep the Kairn manual power button on. I am just worried that this may damage something.

Not sure how the RS232 route would work but I have a Pronto 2mb.

Dak

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    That would certainly work,as the current draw of the Kairn is very low,and powering it up that way shouldn't cause problems....I do understand your reservations though....just isn't quite ideal.