1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Powering up equipment remotely

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by AOD, Jul 31, 2003.

1. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I would like to be able to turn on my amplifiers when my AV processor is switched on.

I know there are mains strips that can plug into the switched outlets on the back of amps like the Yamahas and do this, but are there any that can be connected to a 12V trigger and switch themselves on.

2. Mark4

Mark4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Linn 5125's sense an audio signal and automatically turn themselves on from that - no trigger circuit needed. Hope that's useful.

Regards

Mark

3. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Umm, well, only if I fancied buying another piece of equipment (which I don't at present).

I want to automate the power up of my existing equipment, but it doesn't seem as though there's any easy way to do this.

Thanks for the thought.

4. fufna

fufna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are a couple of ways around this:

A lot of manufacturers allow remote switching via minijack (sony and Pioneer to name a couple)

Another good way is to use X10 control, you would leave the amps powered up and use X10 control to power up the remote socket.

HTH

5. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Unfortunately none of my audio equipment is by either of these companies and I don't really want to have to lash out on new amps just at the moment, especially as I like the sound of my Arcam & Rotels.

Yes, X10 is an option but then again that would require quite a bit more outlay. I'm guessing that to make this work I would have to get a unit to control power for the 3 amps and some way to automate their switchon when the processor gets fired up. This would be either by creating a macro (and don't forget an infra-red to X10 convertor) or by some fancy wiring and something like a Powerflash module.

Thanks for the thoughts but I think my search continues...

6. fufna

fufna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, to be honest mate, you aren't going to get something for nothing.

If you have a universal remote, you could do it for about £100 using X10.

You just have to plug all 3 amps into one distribution block and trigger that via X10.

Absolute doddle.

7. Dak

Dak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In a similar vein, if I use a Denon 3803 power out to power on a Linn Kairn when the Denon is turned on (and the Kairn will in turn auto turn on 2x Linn LK140's), will leaving the Kairn permanently turned on and then powered up in this way harm it?

Dak