Question Powering a SSD from Pi 3B

smallieboy

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this (and it may be a really dumb question) but here goes ........

I have a Pi 3B running RUNEaudio with a HiFiBerry DAC+ HAT to play music files. It's basically a standalone system so the music files are currently on a USB memory stick in MP3 format. However, I've now converted all of my CD's to FLAC - approximately 400GB - and put them onto a SSD. I have a number of cheap 2.5" enclosures which all have either a straight USB cable or, in some cases a USB Y-cable.

My question is, will the Pi 3B power the SSD through it's USB port without damaging the Pi, or will I need an external power source?

If I need an external power source, if I plug one 'free' end of the Y-cable (I assume the thin cable) into a USB mains adapter and the other 'free' end into the drive with the joined end into the Pi, is this safe? I can only find explanations where the Y-cable is used with two USB ports on a PC/laptop.

Thanks in advance

USB power is negotiated so any USB-compliant device should not damage another by pulling too much power.

Although when you're dealing with cheap stuff they're sometimes not USB compliant in all areas, a Y-cable isn't part of the USB spec for example.

Generally SSDs don't pull much power, they're the same tech as USB sticks, so I'd just go for the normal enclosure.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom