Powering 4 ohm speakers?

jason1wood

Just a quick question about powering HT speakers, I'm quite new to home theatre equipment and am getting some M&K Xenon for the front 3 and also have K4 tripole for the rears. I have a Yamaha DSP-763 amp. The speakers are all 4 ohm, so what would I need to get the best out of them, better amp or a power amp or something? Sorry but I don't have a clue about pre/power items.

Not sure what section to post this question.

Kilian

Novice Member
With difficulty I can only find some info on the Japanese site: it is 300W, rated for 6Ω and has pre-outs (assuming the UK version is similar). The rating alone doesn't necessarily mean it can't run 4Ω speakers but you'll very likely run into problems. You'll almost certainly need an external MCH power amp or separate mono or stereo power amps.

The pre-amp side deals with input switching and processing and you'll have to decide whether the features in this amp are adequate.

larkone

Distinguished Member
Set the speaker impedance to 6 Ohms - advanced setup menu P95 in the manual. You will be fine as long as you are not driving the speakers at insane listening levels for long periods of time.

Whether the Yamaha delivers the right sound through your speakers in your room only you can tell. The Yamaha was a £400 amp which is at the budget end of the market.

jason1wood

Thanks for the info guys. Was worried I wouldnt be able to drive them at all. Don't ever drive the speakers that loud anyway. I'm getting the M&K tomorrow so will let you know how I get on. Thanks again

jason1wood

Been running the speakers for a while now and the receiver is coping well as I said I don't drive them hard.

My problem is do I use the preouts of my receiver and get a power amp then later on get a separate processor when funds allow or just get a better receiver, eg Yamaha Rx-a1010 and forgo the separates.

My requirements are 100% movies and TV. My lounge is 6x4 so not that large.

I know my existing receiver is not ideal and will be replacing it in a few weeks so with what? All I'm after is clarity eg in my system not stupid loud power. Any advice is welcome.

Darkstar_surfer

The power amp and processor route is how I went and I have got to admit it does sound great. Then again you could get a Yamaha RX-V3900 that will be a big step up from your current amp all round. Then use that as a building block to add a power amp and processor later. However you may just find the 3900 is good enough to stick with.

jason1wood

Thanks for the reply. Thought my existing Yamaha would suffice to add a power amp. In the new year I was budgeting about £1000 but a 3900 would use that up then I'd have to save again if I wanted a power amp. I thought the receiver just worked as the processor so surely any receiver with pre outs would work.

Thanks Darkstar I know where you are coming from, just I'm in a minefield at the moment with all this upgradeitus malarkey. Haha

Regards.

Darkstar_surfer

I would not buy a 3900 new but instead get a second hand one for £400 to £450. Then take your time to get the right power amp or amp's. Then with a bit of luck in a year or two the Audiolab 8200AP should be out. :D

By the way you might find the 3900 or even a Z7 will be all you need for movies and TV

jason1wood

I have been looking at the newer Yamaha but I don't mind going secondhand. Never thought about these 2 receivers, but how often do Z7s come on the market.

I think I will go with your suggestions Darkstar, you've been a help. Thanks.

Darkstar_surfer

Did you say you had a budget of £1000? If so then get yourself over to Emotiva and order one of their 5 channel power amps and a umc-1. That combo will blow your current set up out of the water.

jason1wood

I was looking at that site but being US site wasn't sure about postage and custom costs. I have heard good things about them.

Darkstar_surfer

You can get an Emotiva XPA-5 for $769 and a UMC-1 for $499, so a total of $1268. There will also be shipping for about $150 so that is $1318. Current exchange rate are better that 1.5 so £878. Then there will be VAT at 20% and duty 4.5% so all in about £1100.

Have a read here.

jason1wood

Nice mathematics there mate, that puts a different spin on things, I'm going to do some research on the said items. They look great but as always it depends on the sound qualities.

I'm very interested in this route now. It'll be early in the year so gives me a few weeks to read up.

Darkstar_surfer

Just remember the UMC-1 is get it while you can. Once they are gone they will be replacing it with its big more expensive brother, the XMC-1. But then again maybe it will be worth waiting for.

By the way I am biased as I have a UMC-1 running my second set-up. Unfortunately it just could not dislodge my Audiolab 8000AP from my main set-up purely for music. I would also love to try out an XPA-5 to see how it faired against my Rotel's, I have both a 1075 and an 985 MK-II.

jason1wood

I realise they might go but funds aren't available till then. I would ultimately like matching prepro and amp and was looking at the Rotel 1075, but the emotiva gets good reviews for the price level.

Another quick question mate, do the power amps get hot like a receiver as I have my Yamahe in an open cabinet or would it be best to get a rack? I like the idea of a rack but space is a premium and I'd have to convince SWMBO it needs a rack.

Darkstar_surfer

Both of mine run cold but I never push it. I have monitor audio radius down stairs and velodyne deco upstairs. By the way the deco are 4 ohm. Downstairs is in a glass front cabinet upstairs is in an open rack.

jason1wood

Just got rid of my Radius for the M&Ks. I won't run mine loud just after control and clarity. I think the cabinet will suffice for the time being. Cheers for all your advice mate.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom