1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Powering 4 and 6 ohm speakers?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by wixy, Aug 3, 2004.

1. wixy

wixy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgive me for having no idea, but using speakers rated as 4 or 6 ohm, what do you have to look for when buying a suitable receiver?

Specifically im looking at the azur 640r which is rated as 80w x 6 at 8 ohms, and 100w x 2 at 8 ohms. So what effect would using 4 or 6 ohm speakers have? Would it be ok or do I need to look elsewhere?

Cheers.

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    4 Ohm speakers present a higher load to the amplifier, thus higher-impedance speakers are better for weak amplifiers.

You can use most 4 Ohm speakers with amps rated for 6 or 8 Ohm though if you keep things at normal volume levels.
    Most if not all amps have a protection circuit but if you should hear distortion turn the volume down as you can also damage the speakers itself when the amp get's strained too much (so-called clipping).

3. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But remember Don't hope the protection circuits will save you everytime. As something has to happen for them to cut in and by which time some damage is already done. So becareful with the volume. Personally i would use something with a bit more grunt, maybe a yamaha. As cambridge have a habit of bend ing the truth with power levels like marantz and pioneer on certain models to make them seem a better deal. No law to say they cannot do that, but in my eyes its still lying. Example 100w x 6 means it has 6 channels and runs at 100 watts. Obvious you say! Well what they tend not to say is its at 100w when only two channels(stereo) are being driven. And it really drops down to 40 watts when five or six channels are being driven. I used to work for a dealer myself and these are words straight from certain companys reps who said this about their own gear.