• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Powering 24m WS2811 Strip

LaZZer

Novice Member
Hello all. I've been reading the forums researching for a lighting project and I was hoping to borrow some expert eyes. I've done some smaller work before, wearable LEDs and the such, but nothing this large so I have a few questions about power.

I'm lining the walls of an odd shaped room with LED strips and in total I need 24 meters. I'm planning on splitting the load into two 12 meter strips. Each one I'll power with a 12v 15a supply. Both strips I'll control with an Arduino Mega. I included a diagram of how I want to wire it all up.

Is this safe to do? Should I be concerned about voltage loss?

Any comments, thoughts or concerns are more than welcome!

Attachments

• wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 98

supraTTman

Banned
Your diagram is perfectly safe but you will get some dimming on steady colours (especially white = all red, green & blue LED's on) as a 12m run will need 11.52W/m x 12m = 138W = 11.5A.

If you will mainly be running sequencing then this is less of a problem, but you will soon get bored with this after a few weeks.

There's plenty of advice on other threads on how to minimise this dimming. What data levels does the Arduino Mega push out? 0-5V? 0-12V?

LaZZer

Novice Member
Thank you for the reply supraTTman. I've seen you're the go-to-guy for help with LED strips. The Mega is 5v output but digging into it a little bit the seller I want to buy from is selling an Arduino 'compatible' so I'll have to double-check that.

I'm worried about dimming but I only have one place to put the power since the space is limited at best so adding any more power supplies would be difficult at best.

I updated my diagram and here's how I'm hopping to help with the dimming. I'm thinking about splitting the strips into four and running a lower gauge wire along the strip for power. This is about the best I can do given my space limitations.

Attachments

• wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

supraTTman

Banned
Each 12m section will comprise 5m+5m+2m. So just run some 2-core 15A cable alongside the 5m strips from the psu and connect to the end of the 1st 5m strip and the end of the 2nd 5m strip - that way you'll get zero dimming. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom