Powerful & Compact Bookshelf Speakers Needed for SW150 Subwoofer?

Soulforge

Novice Member
Reaction score
Please help me find some powerful yet compact bookshelf speakers?

The reason why I mention compact is, because I have limited room left on the TV unit.

This is my current set up

01.Yamaha AX-396 amplifier (60 watts per channel
02. Wharfedale Diamond SW150 Subwoofer

I recently purchased a pair of JBL Control 1 Speakers, but they don't seem to be able to handle the power coming out of the amplifier and Subwoofer.

I need speakers a little more powerful or should I go for floor standers?

I have a budget of £150 for bookshelf speakers and currently I am considering the following

Elac debut b5.2
Amazon product ASIN B07DNCKG7F
Wharfedale Diamond 220

Amazon product ASIN B00OHHF37C

If you got a subwoofer then there is no need for floorstanding speakers as the sub should carry the bass if you have a correct set up. There is no such thing as an amp being too powerful for speakers and it's performance is usually down to a positional problem.

To be honest I would change the sub in the first instance and get a REL or BK that has a Neutrik high level connection and designed for good music performance for which REL are reknown. It's probably your sub's connection that is causing the problems and not the speakers.

You will have to give more information as to exactly how you have it all connected.

If you got a subwoofer then there is no need for floorstanding speakers as the sub should carry the bass if you have a correct set up. There is no such thing as an amp being too powerful for speakers and it's performance is usually down to a positional problem.

To be honest I would change the sub in the first instance and get a REL or BK that has a Neutrik high level connection and designed for good music performance for which REL are reknown. It's probably your sub's connection that is causing the problems and not the speakers.

You will have to give more information as to exactly how you have it all connected.

The connection is a high level connection..my amplifier does not have subwoofer out connection.

Or should I connect via RCA?? I heard through RCA the sound quality is vastly reduced

Speakers connection from the amp A directly to the left and right jbl speaker.

The speaker connections B connected to the high level connection on the subwoofer.

I only bought this woofer 3 weeks ago.

sub610f38a68.jpg

I would take the line feed from the same binding posts as the speakers so that the sub and speakers can blend together better. Look at the stated crossover on your speakers and start slightly higher than that on the sub. Set your phase to 0 and make sure the auto power is turned off.

Blend the crossover with a track that has a good persistent bass line. It will take a while but it does sound as though the bass is overpowering the speakers at the moment.

I would take the line feed from the same binding posts as the speakers so that the sub and speakers can blend together better. Look at the stated crossover on your speakers and start slightly higher than that on the sub. Set your phase to 0 and make sure the auto power is turned off.

Blend the crossover with a track that has a good persistent bass line. It will take a while but it does sound as though the bass is overpowering the speakers at the moment.

Yes it is overpowering them.. I think I blown one of the JBL control speakers.

Also what settings does bass need to be on my amplifier? Completely off? Or quite low?

It's a balancing act. Start low and build the volume on the sub. It's also important to find the best place in the room for the sub initially. As far as the volume for sub is concerned it should not be so high as to draw your attention to it. The room should be filled with bass but if the bass is heard coming from a specific point in the room then it's far too high.

Once you get that sorted then you can work with the crossover settings. It is all a balancing act.

So do you mean I should run speaker cable from biding points A on my amplifier where the speakers are running from? Then send those cables to the subwoofer?

Two speaker cables tied to each binding post? Isn't that going to blow my amplifier?

Screenshot_20200912-141309.png

It's a balancing act. Start low and build the volume on the sub. It's also important to find the best place in the room for the sub initially. As far as the volume for sub is concerned it should not be so high as to draw your attention to it. The room should be filled with bass but if the bass is heard coming from a specific point in the room then it's far too high.

Once you get that sorted then you can work with the crossover settings. It is all a balancing act.

Thank you I will work on that.. But what about the bass levels on the amplifier?

Should that be set lower or higher than the sub?

Thank you I will work on that.. But what about the bass levels on the amplifier?

Should that be set lower or higher than the sub?
Once balanced the bass will increase as you turn up the volume on the amp itself. If you look at your manual they do give a very comprehensive instruction on how to wire up the sub from an amp. They actually prefer running wire from the back of the speakers to the sub. I'm not too familiar with Wharfedale subs having a REL model. I strongly suggest you read the manual thoroughly.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom