1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Powerful amp is it worth it?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by inzaman, Jun 26, 2004.

1. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    Guys i need some help, i currently have a Rotel 1055 integrated receiver which is rated at 75 watts all channels driven. This is driving a pair of B&W 704's and a B&W HTM7 at the fronts and Mission 782s at the rears (i am planning on changing the Missions soon).

I am perfectly happy with the volume levels from the Rotel i.e it doesnt work on db's but goes up to 80 and i have it on 40-50 which is perfectly adequate for me, i live in a Victorian Terrace and dont wish to upset the neighbours, but at 40-50 it is plenty loud enough.

As i am perfectly happy with the volume levels would i gain anything by using a separate more powerful power amp, e.g 1075, parasound etc to drive the speakers or would it be a waste of money, also if i was to gain anything what would it be, i.e detail etc, Cheers Inza.

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    If you're perfectly happy with the amp(s) you have,then I'd leave things as they are.

The benefits of upgrading your amplifier,given the fact that you're taking your neighbours into consideration as well(very nice considering how many people don't these days) would obviously be in terms of sound quality,by upgrading to a better,but not necessarily much more powerful amp.

The Parasound you mention is more powerful,but when driving your speakers to the same level,you should notice a smoother,more detailed,and more controlled sound...there are a lot of other amps in a similar price range,with a variety of sound balances,so if you do decide to upgrade,try as many as you can,in your own home,with your system before buying.

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    As above really. I was a bit dissapointed with my Avr3802's stereo performance so added an Arcam A75+ integrated amp to initially bi-wire my fronts for music listenting. With the addition of the P80 power amp I was then able to bi-amp my Linn Ninka's. This gave me the most noticable improvements to my system with regard to music listening (apart from adding a better cdp). It does allow higher volumes with less distortion but offers better control, more dynamics and overall more defined sound for lower listening levels too.
    I'd definately look at the usual suspects and bi-amp as it does appear to give marked improvements in my experience:)

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I used to advocate plenty of quality power for tough speakers. I mean, I had KEF References once that needed it.

But the spanner came when I plonked a Naim pre/power at 30 watts per channel onto the end of a pair of ATC SCM 35s that have a low sensitivity and love to be tri amped! It sounded lovely with just that lowly 15 year old power amp driving them. :confused: :confused:

So as far as I'm concerned now, it is always a case of try it and see.

5. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    from what ive found its the (quality of amplification) rather than out right power having tried rotel 985 and 981 with 3802 and cdm1nts found in fact the more modest linn lk85 gave a better sound for both av and sterio although the rotels and cdm might be a brighter sounding combination.

6. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    Thanks for the input guys, i might just put this on the back burner for a bit then and put the money towards other things, as it sounds like i might only get a slight benefit because i am perfectly happy with the current volume levels and dont want to drive the speakers any louder.