• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Powered USB Hub

Gliese 581c

Distinguished Member
I'm looking to buy a 4-8 port powered usb hub.

My dilema is trying to find one that provides the full 500mA to every port.

I know there are some out there that are mains powered but still share the current drawn between ports.

Anything I should be looking out for that will stop me from buying the wrong one ?

paulktreg

Most of the hub manufacturers expect some low current devices to be used and generally don't see the need for 500mA on all ports. I've seen some 8 way hubs with 2A/2.6A power supplies that imply you'll get 500mA from 4/5 ports at any one time. Would this do the job?

Do you need USB 2.0 or 3.0?

This USB2.0 device for example comes with a 2.6A power adapter that should be able to supply 5 ports with 500mA at once.

Gliese 581c

Distinguished Member
I think something like that would be perfect. Not sure how you knew that provides 2.6A, but that would be ideal.

USB 3.0 for future proof would be the best scenario, but 2.0 is fine.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom