Powered speakers or separates for office desk system?

Applenoob

Ex Member
Reaction score
Revamping my office next week with a whole new layout and desk etc...

Desk will be c1800mm wide so I'm going to get a nice little set up in there to listen to music as well; it'll be my office but also my hidey-hole when the wife's watching trash in TV!

Just wanted to see what folks opinions are with either going for a dedicated set of powered speakers (ie. Ruark MR1's, EPOZ AKTIMATE Mini's, Q Acoustic BT3's etc...) or if I should spend around the same on a separate amp and stereo standmount speakers etc...?

Speakers will be on the desk and held down with blu-tac probably so stop any further resonance

Music will be via my Mac Mini into a Spitfire MkII DAC and RCA out from there into the speakers (if compatible) or into the amp etc...

Budget max will be £400 and for separates I'd prob get a 2nd hand amp and new speakers such as Q Acoustic 2010's or similar... Amp wise I'll prob look at another NAD C320BEE, Arcam Alpha 8 or Marantz PM6004 et al :)

Any opinions or further suggestions?! :D

Do you have another thread on the same subject?. This sounds very familiar.

Will the speaker be on the desk or is there room to place them on stands across the room? Or is there a space to place the speakers behind your seating area?

If the speakers are on the desk, then I think it is safe to assume they need to be reasonably compact speakers.

In compact Studio Monitor, I heartily recommend the Mackie MR5 - very clear, good clear, deep bass.

Mackie MR5 - Google Search

Unless otherwise specified, the price is typically per speaker. The MR5 have 5" bass drivers, but they also make a MR6 (6") and an MR8 (8"). The price is higher, but if you have the room, you could consider them.

A very simply highly rated solutions would be the AudioEngine A5+ speakers which are specifically made for computers -

audioengine a5+ - Google Search

These are always sold in matched pairs.

Powered Speaker Systems

A5+B Powered Speakers

Audioengine also makes small stands for the speaker that tilt them upward toward the listener -

DS2 Desktop Stand (Pair)

Again, to make a choice or a suggestion, we would need to know a more about the layout of the room, but the above are versatile enough for just about any circumstance.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
Hi Steve

Yes; did ask re powered speakers but wanted to see if anyone had been in a similar situation and gone down the same route or tried both etc?

Currently got Creative Gigaworks T40's and they're good but not 'stereo audiophile'; just good PC speakers!

I've owned the EPOZ Aktimate Maxi's before and demo'd the Audioengine A5's too but both too big for the desktop (they're big speakers in life; bigger than Q Acoustics etc...)

As stated above they'll be on my desktop; blu-tac'd but may go on some heavy granite chopping blocks if I can find some (still with blu-tac) ;) It's amazing stuff!

I've thought about studio monitors before and have gone down the route before of listening and demoing the likes of Yamaha HS80's and similar but just didn't like their sound plus they're not just 'plug n play' as their connections are generally opposite of RCA's/optical ins etc...

The Mackie MR5 are not huge speakers. But you must accept that smaller speakers with smaller bass drivers are going to have less bass. Even the Q Acoustic 2010i with 4" bass drivers have a rated bass response of 68hz. That's not good, though neither is it terrible. The speakers on my computer are rated down to about 65hz, they sound fine. But they simply do not equal the speakers on my main stereo.

Studio Monitor – Mackie MRmk3 Series | Studio and Home Recording

Dimensions - 11.3" x 7.8" x 10.9"

If you want smaller speakers at a low price, you could consider the AudioEngine A2 or the newer A2+ -

A2+B Powered Desktop Speakers

6”(H) x 4”(W) x 5.25”(D)

3" Kevlar woofer with response down to an easy 65hz. I believe the A2+ also has a USB-PC input, which would be handy for computer music.

Audioengine a2+ - Google Search

DS1 Desktop Stand (Pair)

The Audioengine are available in Black, White, and for an extra charge Bamboo.

As to Active Speaker vs a Component system, it is down to a matter of size, placement, and room layout. My computer is on a desk up against the wall, so I don't mind the cables handing down in back. However, for a desk facing out into the room, those dangling wires might be less than ideal.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom