PowerDVD Ultra help please

nashmills

I can't get PowerDVD Ultra to play any DVDs either standard or Blu-ray.

My setup is:
Dell 530S PC running Vista Home Premium
ATI Radeon HD2400 XT graphics card
Creative X-fi Xtreme Gamer sound card
LG GGC-H20L optical drive
Sony KDL-40W3000 as a monitor
Sony RHT-G800 digital amp/speakers

The sound card is connected to the amp with an optical cable (SPDIF).

Previously I had a Philips 5960 DVD player with HDMI. If I played a standard DVD the amp indicated it was receiving Dolby Digital sound.

Now if I play a standard DVD using Windows Media Player the amp indicates it is only receiving PCM sound - I assume this is not the full Dolby Digital? I have enabled Dolby Digital and DTS in the sound card settings.

The LG drive comes with a version of PowerDVD Ultra which is supposed to enable me to play Blu-ray, HD DVD and standard DVDs. I have installed it and also the update it immediately asks me to do. However this software won't play anything. It just starts, stutters and freezes and eventually the program crashes. I have enabled SPDIF in the audio settings. I have installed the program several times now without any success.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Prism666

It sounds like you have two separate problems. Your SPDIF not out putting dolby digital or dts sounds like a problem in windows whereas the powerdvd crashing is something else

In vista I have SPDIF selected on the main sound screen in control panel, the DTS and dolby digital ticks in the boxes under supported formats along with a few of the sample rates beneath, all enhancements disabled and both ticks on the advanced page ticked. My amp is set to auto sound and when i play a dvd in media player it changes to dolby or dts

I use the full version of Powerdvd, with anydvd loaded in addition to the LG drive you have. There are problems with powerdvd and later disks - i'm not entirely sure the version that comes with the LG drive can be updated fully. To check your version, load Powerdvd without a disk in ( if you can) and then right click the red screen and click about. Then click in the box that says this product is licensed to and you should get your exact version number of 7.3.xxxx.

leon

i have the same problem i have updated to the latest version and the spdif is enabled all i can get at the most is pro logic i have installed 6 times ..when i test the sound card the parasound amp flags up dd and dts in the test .. ??
also the power dvd is saying in the menu that the disc is dolby digital and picture is fine and it runs well but the sound still wont go to direct dolby i have searched for a the problem and the power dvd help is useless ..
anyone got any ideas ??
thanks

mannyo

Check the powerdvd config to make sure that SPDIF passthrough is enabled in the sound setting. The default is for powerdvd to decode the audio streams to 2 channel stereo.

The HD playback problem could be a HDCP issue, how is the monitor connected (via DVI or HDMI), or a VGA connection to the TV. If via HDMI or DVI, try using the normal VGA connection and see if it works. If it does, then the graphics card is having problems with HDCP.

leon

i cant see the sdif passthrough i have looked in the audio and advanced menu but cant see it ?
the tv is attached using a hdmi to the lcd the card is a radion hd2600 gigabyte ..

thanks for your help

markp

i cant see the sdif passthrough i have looked in the audio and advanced menu but cant see it ?
the tv is attached using a hdmi to the lcd the card is a radion hd2600 gigabyte ..

thanks for your help
I understand there is a bug in powerdvd that defaults to the stereo audio option and the spdif is not available. I get this annoying glitch frequently and have to close Powerdvd and on restart go to the configuration settings where the spdif option reappears and enables 5.1 surround.

leon

i have just taken a look when i run a blu ray or hd dvd the spdif apears but when i run a standard dvd there is no option for spdif ony 2 speakers 4 6 8 etc :(

leon

ahh sorted thanks guys for all your help it kept going awol .. at last ex and dd & dts now i need to sort the colours
thanks again i emailed power dvd 5 times and they didnt have a clue .:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom