1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PowerDVD locks

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Galaxy, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,
    Well I did it, finally got my HTPC off the blocks and it works, well almost!
    spec is, MB MSI microATX, Duron 900, 256meg 133, Fujistsu 13Gig HD, Creative 6x DVD, ATI Radeon 7000 graphics card, Soundblaster 4.1 audio card for SPDIF out only, PowerDVD 4xp software player.

The problem is that after an unspecified time the whole thing just locks solid, the only way out is to hard reboot. The processor usage while running is around 10% and the picture quality through my LCD projector at its native resolution XGA, is stunning.
    I have no other programmes running apart from PowerDVD and DVD Genie, no screensavers, no powersaving mode, and the bare minimum of Windows 98se load...........any suggestions from more experienced HTPC'ers would be much appreciated as the management here at home is beginning to think all this expence, re-cabling and new strnage equipment is a waste of time......HELP?

2. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello David,

Have you checked that power management is disabled in the Bios and in Windows?

Mark.

3. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have all power and screen savers turned off in windows, and after I have now reloaded windoes 98se clean and minimum for the umpteenth time I will double check the bios power management settings too, I am getting to the stage where I wish it was something a simple as that! so fingers crossed! :)
    I am going to reinstall my DXR3 card too this time, and running it with a Toshiba drive (rpc1) to try and negate any problems that the older creative drive may have had, any more straws for me to clutch anyone?

4. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I don't have a clue but I just wonder is PowerDVD XP compatible with Windows ME?

Conor

5. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes it is, according to the specs it'll run with...95, OSR2, 98, 98SE, NT4 SP5+, 2000, ME or Windows XP..............I expect it washes whiter than white too! ;)

And I have just reloaded the lot yet again, checked all the power saving modes I can find and they are off, the BIOS has some odd controls for power saving that seem best left alone for now, but nothing obvious that would cause this problem.

As an aside, when it is all running PowerDVD gives a better picture relative to black levels and contrast, but DXR3 is superior for smooth playback without any stuttering on fast pans that show (albeit slightly) on PowerDVD, as to the sharpness they are practically the same, and compared to "S" palyback from my Sony 725 player, far far superior, so I will soldier on for now to find a solution. But any tips will be gratefully accepted..........

6. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    This could be heat/connector related.

a and b below have solved this on two rogue machines for me in the past, remember to unplug the power (Never trust a wake-on-lan pc to stay sleeping!) and ground yourself by touching the metal casing if you don't already know to do this:-
    You could try each one of the following in turn:-

a) remove and re-insert memory
    b) remove and reinsert all add-in cards from slots.
    c) ensure the cpu and powersupply fans are running correctly. No cables are blocking the easy passage of air past the cards, past the cpu and into the power supply metal box, out the back.
    d) if you can see a health status screen, ensure the cpu temp is well below 70 degrees c, ideally low 40's.
    e) if you mave many memory dimm's, try running with one. I just have 64MB in my HTPC and it seems fine, no different than 196MB for dScaler and WinDVD to my eyes.

Hope you fix it.

regards,
    Rob.

7. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Rob,
    Well the the beast has been running continously now for 12hrs on AB repeat and hasnt hung yet, and I never touched a thing, but almost touched many drops.........its almost lead me to drink.
    It's running PowerDVD now through DVD Genie, the temp of the processor is approx 33c (nice and cool) the memory is on one stick of 256, and the cards have been in and out more times than a sailors d**k on leave.:eek:
    So tonight as a compromise to the Christmas season here at home, the whole soak test will now be moved from the dining room table (something about next week and a meal was mentioned by the wife:) ) and into the spare bedroom. Until the thing is working 100% it isnt worth plumbing it in to the main room.
    BTW I have sent off a query to Cyberlink and a Log.file, so it will be interesting to see if any light can be shed by the software vendor themselves, something CREATIVE seem unable to do!

8. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well it seemed fine for days, then right during the intro to Knights Tale the thing locked up again, and only a reboot would get me out. After that the film ran right through no problem, at first I thought it might be temperature related but having had the thing running all day and then it locks up as well as just after starting from cold I am at a loss! I had a reply from Cyberlink to the effect that I should use all the latest drivers and software updates as well as checking DMA etc.........of course al the latest drivers are installed and working, the software is just as new.........its just lucky I still have hair to pull out!:mad:
    Can I ask if anyone else is running a Duron with the VIA133A chipset and Win98SE and if so is everything hunky dory for them?

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    A friend used to have an ECS mobo with VIA 133 chipset (Duron 750), and that would lock up frequently and for no apparent reason.

He changed it for a PCChips 810LMR (266fsb) and that rarely hangs. I think he said he thought it was graphics card related (GeForce2 I believe).

I have a AMD760 and SIS system, and neither of them lock up other than the occasional Windows glitch we all get from time to time. I think that the VIA133 chipset can be a bit 'luck of the draw' with certain combinations of hardware/drivers, as not everyone seems to have the same problems.

Who's got a stable VIA133 system as their HTPC?

Gary.