Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Powerdvd and Radeon Overlay

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by theritz, Apr 14, 2003.

1. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi guys,

When I run Powerdvd with hardware acceleration, it sends the "brightness" control of the Overlay up to +45. This means getting the overlay up on screen and setting it back to default. However, once you skip a chapter, or fast forward, Powerdvd does the same thing again to the overlay.

I know that the brightness can be corrected in Powerdvd at the software level, but I'd prefer to have the overlay from the card running as normal. Any suggestions for a fix for this ?

My capture of VCR signal through Pinnacle Rave and Dscaler is coming up with the same symptom. Is this a Radeon issue ?

Thanks,

Sean G.

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Its not the Radeon, this is a known problem with PowerDVD. The last time I played with it you could set the equivalent brightness to overlay=0 and save it.

I'm not sure about your DScaler problem, DScaler doesn't touch the overlay settings unless you tell it to do (overlay controls are switch off by default). It could be that the video controls (input card) have the brightness level too high.

Jeff

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Jeff,

Thanks for that - I'll have another pass through Powerdvd and experiment. I'm not familiar with Dscaler, so I may well have set up something incorrectly with it - more tweaking required (sometimes it seems never ending !)

See ya,

Sean G.

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Nope......:(

Can't find the fix you pointed me at, Jeff.

Anyone else out there with Powerdvd + Radeon issues (or fixes...) ?

Thanks

Sean G.

5. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    PowerDVD doesn't let you set the brightness level and save it?

6. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Jeff,

I think I may have misinterpreted

as suggesting that there was a "Brightness to Overlay" setting. :)blush: , stupid me !!)

I now assume that you're suggesting that I set the brightness level in PowerDVD to the equivalent of having the Overlay set to 0. I can do this, but I'd rather have the overlay and software brightness control set in normal ranges - setting the brightness level so low in Powerdvd degrades the pic quality (to my eye).

I gat a suggestion over on avs to do an update patch on Powerdvd - that had already been done.

I think I'll give Windvd4 a whirl, though I wasn't that mad on the audio from it before. I'm also going to print out a few threads on Zoomplayer from avs - I've messed with it, but it's "blind" tweaking.

Thanks,

Sean G.

7. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Setting the overlay to anything other than 0 causes other problems down the line. Try setting it to 0 and calibrateing the display to match. This will give you the best chance of maximising the dynanic range.

8. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Jeff,

Thanks again - took out Powerdvd and now running Windvd4 - still seems to ramp the overlay high - but doesn't do so on chapter changes. I'll do some more experiments and tweaking - It's got to be something that I'm doing wrong, or it could be that I've installed/uninstalled so many times that something is fecked up with the ATI drivers.

A clean install/rebuild on XP is planned, (98SE at the mo), so from a clean start I might encounter less probs.

BTW, when I went looking for the Fly TV card in PCWorld here (Irl), they told me they had sent 60 of them back to the UK as "the tv tuner was only suitable for UK or Northern Ireland" I know from the past that UK sourced TVs used only have UHF tuners, but I assumed that all tuners would now by hyperband (cable) ready. Is the tuner in your Fly tv card suitable for cable (I ask because Vex got one early, and I might pick one up in NI) I gat a Rave card and it seems fine so far (the delicious mysteries of Dscaler notwithstanding !)

Thanks for your advice to date.

See ya,

Sean G.

9. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2 words:

1. Format

2. Reinstall (XP Pro)

:rotfl:

Seriously, once I "readjust" the overlay in desktop properties, it always stay at where I set it, irrespective of DVD software player (Power DVD default).

I'm using XP Pro, so maybe 98SE is different.

Why would one use a PC for DVD playback anyway - nothing wrong with good old interlaced DVD player via s-video IMHO.

NOT.

:clap:

10. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    K,

Yip. I think the format/reinstall is becoming more and more of a necessity, although using zoomplayer I saved the overlay settings I want to use. Only prob is Zoomplayer freezes when I stop the dvd playing :mad: :mad: :mad: .

I used to lurk here often when I was contemplating using hcpc, and used to read threads like these with some poor bugger (now me" going mental with arcane software issues. DVD player captured and Dscaled was brilliant for me as a tryout - having thoughts now about using hcpc for that purpose and running it 24/7 offsite to movieroom !! best of both worlds - Dvd player functionality/friendliness, pc quality output ??

I don't like getting stumped by software, tho', spent too long writing the stuff.....

See ya,

Sean G.