PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra 2911 on Vista 64 - install error

Monty Burns

Hi Guys

I have a relativley old copy of Powerdvd 7.3 2911 and I have recently rebuilt my PC on to Vista 64. Now the problem is that when I try to install my PowerDVD I get the following error from InstallShield: Error 1628 Installation Failed.

Now I know your first suggestion would be to update to a newer version however, I have a lot of media on disk and the newer versions have the play from disk option disabled by Cyberlink.

So, I quickly googled this for some suggestions and tried the following:

• Cleared temp directories
  • Used the MS Clean Up utility
  • Installed Vista SP1 (RC1)
  • Ensured all my other drivers were up to date
  • Run in compatability mode (XP sp2) and as Admin
  • double and tripple checked there were no services that could be locking files suggested by google searches
  • Google search result
  • Rebuilt the machine ... twice!

I have seen some other posts on other forums, including AVS, that suggest the install shield for these versions won't work on Vista 64 but no one seems to confirm this.

Does anyone have any ideas how I might be able to get around this InstallShield issue:confused:

MrMovieBits

Standard Member
:hiya: Hi

I'm in the same boat as yourself with same spec & same things you had tried, would you mind going through how you solved this problem?

Thx in advance!

Hi Guys

I have a relativley old copy of Powerdvd 7.3 2911 and I have recently rebuilt my PC on to Vista 64. Now the problem is that when I try to install my PowerDVD I get the following error from InstallShield: Error 1628 Installation Failed.

Now I know your first suggestion would be to update to a newer version however, I have a lot of media on disk and the newer versions have the play from disk option disabled by Cyberlink.

So, I quickly googled this for some suggestions and tried the following:

• Cleared temp directories
  • Used the MS Clean Up utility
  • Installed Vista SP1 (RC1)
  • Ensured all my other drivers were up to date
  • Run in compatability mode (XP sp2) and as Admin
  • double and tripple checked there were no services that could be locking files suggested by google searches
  • Google search result
  • Rebuilt the machine ... twice!

I have seen some other posts on other forums, including AVS, that suggest the install shield for these versions won't work on Vista 64 but no one seems to confirm this.

Does anyone have any ideas how I might be able to get around this InstallShield issue:confused:

Monty Burns

Hiya

Back from Hols now so will get the information you need when I get home tonight from work.

Basically, Cyberlink as far as I can tell only released ONE very specific version of PowerDVD that will both:

A: Install on Vista64 (earlier versions won't)
and
B: Run ISO/run from file (later versions have the menu option but it wont run HD/BD disks or files)

Almost all the other versions that I have found, and i tried a lot, fail on one of these.

Monty Burns

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom