1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PowerDVD 6 Problem

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by stripe, Aug 18, 2005.

1. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Hi

I've changed my decoder to PowerDVD 6, which works perfectly outside of the MCE app but when trying to play a DVD in MCE I get no sound. I still get sound when I play MP3's.

I have the PC hooked up to my amp via the on board SPDIF of my ASUS mobo. I have ran through the setup programs till my eyes were bleeding, and within the program settings for PowerDVD I cannot change the audio from earphones to SPDIF. This is obviously where the problem lies, but for the life of me I cannot get round it.

Any ideas?

2. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    I tried power dvd once and the sound worked for me, but i never found the video up to scratch, I don't tink I can help you, but i have an asus mobo and i don't use the onboard sound, try using a different decoder, i.e win dvd 7, your problem could be simple to fix, or it could be complicated, but unless i have a look at your machine myself i could not help you..

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Michael, have you configured MC to use the s/pdif?

Dave

4. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Meansizzler

I have tried Nvidia and again I couldn't get to pass the digital or DTS signal out, but it did pass a non surround sound stream out. If that makes any sense.

Dave

Yes I have done the set up in MCE and it's set to SPDIF, I get sound through the amp when I play other files and watch TV.

5. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    I suggest you get a new card if you want to take advantage of the spdif, on board sound is usually crap, and it should solve your problem and give you better audio...

Get This

It's a highly rated card, encodes all audio on your pc to a dolby digital bitstream, yes even wma 5.1, and sends it to your amp via the spdif...

6. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Thanks Meansizzler.

I have thought about doing this and I may go ahead and get it in fact considering the amount of time I've spend trying to get it all working I could have paid for it 10 times over.

Is this the card you are using?

7. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Nope i'm using an audigy 2, but i don't use spdif, the HDA Digital is the best card for spdif though, check the overclockers forum, that card is highly rated over there, as it is in many reivews and it's cheap..., there was one bug it had was where it would always revert back to 2.1 instead of 5.1 when you start windows but i think the latest drivers fix that issue...

8. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is Soundmax your onboard sound? I have an Asus with this and I too have issues.

You could try the nVidia 30 day trial to see if it helps. You'll need deccheck to make it the default MC decoder.

Peronally I'd rather get the onboard working properly than have to spend money on a card that I'll only be using to pass the digital stream through without processing. However, you may of course, find value in that.

Dave

9. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    But you cannot pass 5.1 WMA audio over an spdif unless your amp is capable of decoding WMA PRO 9, also games which feature 5.1 audio will only play in 2 channel, but with a sound card featuring a dolby digital encoder like the HDA-Digital, you can get 5.1 audio from your games and WMA content via your spdif, so I think the investment of £35+£4 P&P is worth it for that card...

10. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I'm weakening!

Can you tell me if I can have s/pdif passthhrough at the same time as I can listen by headphones?

Seems a strange request I suppose but what I need to be able to do is listen at night through headphones and put the DD5.1/DTS etc through my amp during the day/evening without having to re-configure every time. It's this swapping and changing all the time that has given me most grief!

Thanks, by the way, for your continued support of these forums!

Dave

11. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Meansizzler, cheers for the recommendation of the sound card, I've ordered it and hopefully it should be here today. I'll le you know how I get on.

Dave P, why don't you just stick your headphones into the amp? Problem easily solved ;-)

12. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    More re-configuring is needed, sadly! The headphone socket doesn't switch off all the speakers, only front left and right. I think the theory is that if you are listing on headphones you'll only get stereo. So I still get sound out the other 5 speakers unless I change the mode from DPLIIx to Stereo.

Good thought though!

Let me know how you get on with the new card.

Dave

13. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Got the new card in, done the neccessary and after about 2 hours of solid testing everything has worked straight away! All the lights indicating what channels are being encoded are on for the amp.

Best of all is that it sounds very good! I gave it a good test with Star Wars EP1 at the Pod race and it passed with flying colours.

Thanks Meansizzler for the recommendation and the rest of you for your help.

It's great to have MCE working as it should!

14. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm glad you are pleased with it!

Any chance you can connect your headphones whilst you are enjoying DTS/DD5.1 through your amp?

Dave

15. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    I thought only the Turtle beach version and Intel HD audio Motherboards can do that. play 2 seperate audio streams through different outputs...

16. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The onboard sound on my Asus does it ok. Well, I say ok. What I should say is that it is ok when it's working! Sometimes when I start playing a DVD I get no 5.1 sound and skipping to the next chapter will recover it. It's these irritations that make me consider a new card. The drivers for the sound chip haven't been updated since 2003

Dave

17. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Dave

Tha's how my problems started! I've got an Asus MB too with a soundmax sound card built in. I done the drivers and loads of other things, but in the end I got it going with and working very well with a new card.

18. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Mike but can you anser the headphones question?

19. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Hi Dave

It doesn't work, there is nopthing coming out of the analogue outputs. I think it is to do with the way you tell MCE that you want to use the SPDIF rather than the analogue outputs. Sorry mate.

20. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for trying!

Dave