1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PowerDVD 5 v Theatertek 1.5

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Canary_Jules, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +764
    So how do PowerDVD 5 and Theatertek 1.5 shape up? I currently use MSIDVD which came with my DVD Rom but which is actually PowerDVD 4, I believe. I might be interested in upgrading to one or the other if it is worth it. But is it? That's the question. Has PowerDVD 5 caught up with Theatertek?

Jules:confused:

2. adesonic

adesonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO Theater Tek still gives a marginally better picture than Power DVD5 although that may be purely down to personal taste.

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    I can't see a lot of difference between PDVD 4 and 5 picture quality wise, but 5 has a non linear stretch mode for 4:3 stuff like widescreen tvs. It also has an active image adjuster that makes everything seem brighter and more colourful. Doesn't look too hot on a projected image in my opinion.

HTH

Gary.

4. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Yeah, I'm not sure what to make of the CLwhatever brighness enhancer in Power DVD 5, it seems to overly saturate the colours, increase contrast too much, all leading to images losing their more cinematic feel.

The jury is still out, perhaps I just need to tweak it a bit more...

5. GRees

GRees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know you asked about PowerDVD 5 and Theatertek 1.5 but have you considered WinDVD 5? I have just spent a week comparing Theatertek and WinDVD 5 and IMHO WinDVD5 just about beats Theatertek on my projector - providing you set the colour settings to "custom" and not the pre-sets. I also seemed to get smoother panning with WinDVD 5.

Added to that the built in support for Dolby Digital EX and DTS ES ( something sorely lacking from Theatertek IMHO ) -as well as SP/DIF output there is no contest.

I have only tried PowerDVD XP and I took it off after about 30 minutes - I thought the picture was awful - so I can't comment about PowerDVD 5.

Just my pennies worth - for what it's worth :)

6. slyborg

slyborg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If TT doesn't support ES/EX then I'm correct in assuming you will only get DD or DTS 5.1 out of your soundcard when playing such DVDs?

Surely there must be a TT update in the works?

Si

7. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +764
    I'm a little confused on the sound issue so please 'scuse me for asking such a noob question. But if I use spdif out to my AV amp which of the three packages mentioned (WinDVD, PowerDVD and TT) will permit me to reproduce DTS sound? Audio quality is as important to me as video quality and there is no doubt that DTS is tops as far as sound formats are concerned. I have just tried WinDVD 5 and my initial reaction is that the picture quality is better than in PowerDVD 4, which at times seems over saturated and lacking in definition.

Jules

8. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Power DVD5 & TT 1.5. I use SPDIF to may amp, both of which output DTS if on source and selected (if thats what you mean)

To me TT gives a better picture (ever so slightly) also its aspect ratio/picture size adjustments is a fantastic feature. Consequently TT has the edge IMO.

Also, I am sure I am able output EX/ES with TT, I will check tonight !! :D

9. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    PMJI :) ... I'm looking at TT and read the manual about the AR editor, but I'm bemused as to WHY it's a great feature; certainly TT think it's great it has the largest description of any feature in the package.

Just where do you find yourself using it? I'm a n00b to HT I know, but setting a custom AR seems a solution looking for a problem. :confused:

10. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    If it's the feature I think it is, then it's possibly for people with anamorphic lenses and want the extra stretch for 2.35:1 movies.

Gary.

11. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +764
    Be sure to tell us the results tbrar! I'm interested to know the outcome.

Jules

12. GRees

GRees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AFAIK you will not even get DD or DTS 5.1 out of TT if you are using a soundcard with active speakers or power amp connected to it. The only sound output you will get is Pro Logic as TT only supports DD/DTS via your S/PDIF to an external AV amp/Processor. Having said that, apparently you can get it to work with an Audugy 2 S/PDIF input if you mess around a bit, something I tried with my Audigy 2 ZS but gave up with after a while because of serious lip sync problems. Maybe someone cleverer than me could have got it working but given that WinDVD5 worked perfectly I really couldn't be bothered.

WinDVD 5 has built in software decoders for DD EX/DTS 5.1 ES., so will work fine with any 7.1 soundcard.

As far as Aspect Ratio is concerned, I personally don't need it as my PJ runs at 1024 x 768 so I just leave my PC set to its' standard resolution. However, if you've got a PJ with "non-standard" resolution I could see the appeal ot that feature with TT.

I know ( read "hope" ) WinDVD will support anamorphic lenses - just turn "maintain aspect ratio" off - as its' something I'm currently looking at getting. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has experience with them.

Gary

13. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Since I'm using pstrip for my Panny 300 then is the AR feature of TT redundant then?

14. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly Im a Noob to HTPC, chose a HTPC to act as Video processor primarily, bonus that sound was as good as my previous Arcam DVD88+.

The reason I like this feature is due to the different ways that DVD's are mastered, in that a 1:78:1 ratio movie may actually be a slightly different size depending on film.

In other words if like me youre outputting 1024 x 768 (dot for dot to panel) you may get small black bars at the edge of the screen, that on another 1:78:1 ratio movie would not be there. With the AR control you can adjust as you watch, in real time, so that the picture fills the screen.

To some I imagine this is not a great feature. To me on my panel I really like it.

Also I am using Power Strip in conjunction with TT. This allows me to fine tune settings to my panel, ie refresh rates, porch settings etc. This then produces the best results for my set up (well was set up for me by Rob Screene)

Just tested with Blade II, definatley got DTS-ES. Can you not hear it ?????:eek:

15. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    With you, I've seen that once or twice and now you describe it I can understand the use of the AR feature ... I guess it also allows one to sacrifice a percentage of the picture watching a 2.35:1 in 16:9 mode by expanding vertically to eliminate some of the anamorphic black banding ... I do that sometimes using PowerDVD's Pan&Scan settings but the TT mechanism provides for fine tuning.

Thanks for the explanation. :)

16. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    you could just use zoom player which has all sorts of custom AR, res and zoom. It will work with any decoders you have installed.

17. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    I see - it's like the feature Zoomplayer has where you can use the mouse wheel (or whatever you have it configured to) to make the image larger (or smaller).

Almost like an incremental zoom function, and very useful for losing the ragged edges of some DVDs. You don't see them on TVs because TVs have something like 10% overscan.

Gary.