Powercool 650w & Asus Geforce 550 ti help

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Nintendo&Sega, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Nintendo&Sega

Nintendo&Sega
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey there.

Thanks for taking the time to read this:)

Could someone who knows about such things please let me know if a Powercool 650w PSU (80+ certified, model PC-650AUBA-M) would be enough to power an Asus Geforce 550 ti, which requires 400 Watt or greater power supply with a minimum of 24 Amps on the +12 volt rail?

The reason I ask is that I have the PSU leftover from a previous system and would like to use it in the basic gaming pc I intend on using, along with the 550ti, 1 hard drive, 1 dvd drive and a memory reader.

Just to confirm, the Powercool is a Dual Rail PSU and the specs are as follows:

+3.3V +5V +12V1 +12V2 -12V +5VSB BLK GRN GRY
    24A 28A 20A 20A 0.5A 2.0A COM PS-ON PW-OK
    179W Max RETURN REMOTE P.G.
    650W

Any help/answers would be very much appreciated:thumbsup:

2. LJx

LJx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    should have no problem, 550ti does not need much juice and whilst that is pretty weak compared to some 650W PSU's it is more than enough as it has 20amp on each of the 12V rails so you add them together and equivalent40A so way more than 24A. I think 40A could run any current spec graphics card even a GTX 680 if the spec of the PSU is reliable

3. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,519
    480W at 12V is very weak for a '650W' PSU and given the prices these unbranded 'powercool' PSUs sell at I wouldn't be surprised if it failed to reach that.

You're talking about 200-300W though so you may get away with it. Difficult to tell without knowing the exact quality of the PSU. Given even some reputable stores sell them then I'd imagine it won't collapse immediately but I would run some stress tests and monitor the rails, ATX spec requires them to be within +-5% of the nominal value, i.e. +12V shouldn't go under 11.4v.

4. Nintendo&Sega

Nintendo&Sega
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the help guys, much apprecaited.

Being a novice when it comes to PSU's, how come the Powercool has 480w rather than the 650w?

Also, how do I carry out a stress test on the psu, without blowing it, or any other component, up:D?

Basically, as long as the pc will run games such as Crysis (graphically intense), STALKER, Far Cry, etc without danger of damage, i'll be happy.

Just to confirm it's a Core 2 Quad Q6600 with 4gb ram. It is intended to be a basic gaming pc with no overclocking or additional graphics card to be added.

Once again cheers for your help and advice guys:smashin:

5. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,519
    The PSU provides several voltages, although for a modern PC 12V is the one used for the high power components (CPU, Graphics card) so many PSUs rate themselves on the combined total power provided, which is fair enough. You'd usually expect to see at least 550W at 12V on a '650W' PSU though, and a high end one will provide 600-650W there.

The low rating itself wouldn't be a problem but along with the low price, the lack of any manufacturer's name attached to the unit and none having been sent for reviews it does suggest the quality may not be as you'd expect.