1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Powercolor X800GT

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by FGEvans, Sep 20, 2005.

1. FGEvans

FGEvans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have just purchased one of these cards and according to all the reviews it is meant to have a R480 core which is meant to be very clockable.

However running ATI tool the chip is recognised as a R423 chip.(supposed to be inferior to the R480)

I have also read that no software will be able to tell you what the core chip is and that you would have to physically remove the heat sink to check the chip itself.

Has anyone else got one of these cards and if so do you know what chip is inside it.

2. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Its the GTO which is the 12pipe R480 based core, the GT is an 8 pipe R423 based core.

3. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    The Hexus review does say the sapphire has the R423 BUT the powercolor has the R480:

SAPPHIRE has opted to use R423-based (X800-series) cores that couldn't quite run with a full complement of pixel pipelines. PowerColor, on the other hand, has opted to grab a slice of the X800 GT action but, and it's a significant one for you enthusiasts out there, has bought, in bulk, the vast majority of not-quite-right R480 (X850-series) cores. The upshot of which should be slightly better overclocking on a card that already offers excellent value for money.

4. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Sounds about right, I forgot about Powercolor doing that =)

5. FGEvans

FGEvans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    therefore would ATI tool be able to say which core the card has. As i said in my original post ATI tool shows the chip as being a R423 chip. Therefore is ATI tool correct

6. FGEvans

FGEvans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had this reply directly from powercolour taiwan

"dear user :

this status happen because ATi decide to make all X800GT series chipset ( R423/R430/R480 ) running with same setting (R423) in the
    VGA driver , this will make alle of software from 3rd party reported the vga card uning R423 chip , because they have only detect
    the setting in vga driver .

so , a way to make sure the chipset is take down the FAN and look on it , but we do not suggest you do it because the warranty will
    void , or you could change the core speed to higher value and you could know because our card could running in more higher speed
    stablly. "

It seems therefore that software can not tell what the core chip is.

I have been able to overclock the card quite a bit so it does seem that powercolour do have the R480 cores.

7. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59