• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Powercolor Ati 4870 - poor performance or am i expecting to much??

randolph2010

Standard Member
Hi all,

i have built a new system recently and i wish to play certain games on my samsung 40" 1080i tv, i have tried running the game "race on" at highest quality settings and the game jerks really bad, i run 2 screens by the way a 19" square monitor at 1280 x 1024 and the tv at 1280 x 720. should i expect this system to run the game fine? it is in full screen mode and not windowed. Would dropping the monitor resolution help the output to the tv? and when i setup race on for the tv it only allows upto 30 hz - is this right?, tbh i havent been pc gaming in about 5 years. i am about to install fifa 10, will this have similar problems being that it a newer game?

cheers

full pc spec

Windows: Microsoft Windows 7 6.1.7600
Internet Explorer: 8.0.7600.16385
Memory (RAM): 4096 MB
CPU Info: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 925 Processor
CPU Speed: 2764.8 MHz
Sound card: Speakers (VIA High Definition A
Display Adapters: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series | ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series | RDPDD Chained DD | RDP Encoder Mirror Driver | RDP Reflector Display Driver
Monitors: 2
Screen Resolution: 1280 X 1024 - 32 bit
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
CD / DVD Drives: D: Optiarc DVD RW AD-5240S
COM Ports: COM1
LPT Ports: LPT1
Mouse: 8 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 931.4GB | E: 465.8GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 806.8GB | E: 19.5GB
USB Controllers: 7 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): Not Detected
PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed
Manufacturer: American Megatrends Inc.
Product Make: System Product Name
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info:
Time Zone: GMT Standard Time
Battery: No Battery
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A77TD PRO
Modem: Not detected
:

NiggyG

Established Member
You should be able to get decent performance with what you have, it's quite a fast setup. It'll be to do with the display settings to your TV.

If you give the TV model and how your connecting it to the PC then someone should be able to give you more info.

Have you got the latest drivers for your graphics card? It might not fix your problem but it's always a good place to start. http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Last edited:

NiggyG

Established Member
The model is le40r88bd (one less r than you used). Are you using HDMI port 2?

Taken from here --> http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-...wners-thread-optimal-settings-discussion.html

Special Note for PC Users: When using a PC, you can use a DVI to HDMI convertor on HDMI Port 2 and have 1360x768 output. This means you can do 1:1 Pixel Mapping via a 100% digital signal, this is the best signal this TV can ever recieve and display, much better than using VGA.

Razor

Distinguished Member

NiggyG

Established Member
Your cpu is a bottle neck at that resolution and that clock speed with that graphics card. You will need to overclock your cpu to 3.2ghz + for the bottleneck to disappear. :)

This should explain what bottlenecking is and why you need to overclock your cpu to remove it and get the best out of your gpu.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/home...-thread-part-2-updated-info.html#post10593381

I agree with what your saying regarding bottlenecking but Race On isn't a taxing game (Requirements - RACE™ by SimBin) he should be able to run it smoothly with all his hardware at stock. I think there is another issue with the connection to the TV. He shouldn't be limited to 30Hz as he suggested is happening.

mrbobc

Prominent Member
could also be a tearing problem if your tv's only outputting 30hz. try turning v-sync on or forcing it via CCC.

you didnt say whether it was slow jerky or fast jerky so just a suggestion.

Razor

Distinguished Member
Oh I see. My bad for not reading it properly. :)

Thats confusing why its only letting him do 30hz. It sounds like its in 1080i 30hz mode.

If it is make sure you have the right res set for the desktop ie 720p or 1366x768 if your display accepts this. If you select 720p ie 1280x720 make sure 720p @ 60hz is ticked in your catalyst control panel. To do this select desktop and displays, then right click on the monitor on the bottom left of the page and select configure. Now select hdtv support and tick 720p @ 60hz.

Other than that make sure you have the latest drivers for the gpu and see if there are any patches out for the games. Have you also tried any other games? If so do you get the same results?

Razor

Distinguished Member

GMC79

Distinguished Member
could also be a tearing problem if your tv's only outputting 30hz. try turning v-sync on or forcing it via CCC.

How random is that. :eek:

Was about to post that if it wasn't already, i have same 30hz limit on mine with HDMI with PC (however both ports the same here and not an option to use at 30hz), that's how i stuck with DVI-VGA.
Also 60hz dont work with mine at 1360x768 so use 85hz and that's works fine.lol
TV's while great can be weird.:rotfl:

Razor

Distinguished Member
Was about to post that if it wasn't already, i have same 30hz limit on mine with HDMI with PC (however both ports the same here and not an option to use at 30hz), that's how i stuck with DVI-VGA.
Also 60hz dont work with mine at 1360x768 so use 85hz and that's works fine.lol
TV's while great can be weird.:rotfl:

That is so strange.

eiren

Distinguished Member
30Hz is the speed of interlaced video i.e. a full picture 30 times per second because it's interlaced.

So if your television is 1080i only, that's what you'd expect.

Razor

Distinguished Member
30Hz is the speed of interlaced video i.e. a full picture 30 times per second because it's interlaced.

So if your television is 1080i only, that's what you'd expect.

I know that. I just expected these displays to accept 720p and not only allow a 1080i feed. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom