1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Powerbook G4 to AV Amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by cYs, Jul 23, 2004.

1. cYs

cYs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello AV freaks,

My oldschool Technics SA-818 has been finally 'retired' after shredding a pair 701 tweeters. Yes, it's time to upgrade! This AV technology is new to me so I have a couple of questions:

After a bit of research the Sony DB-790 comes out top - 90W/ch, 3 optical inputs and the excellent price. I've elimated the Denon machines after reading-up on their average sound output. Essentially, I'm using the amp to listen to music - minimal house, electronic music, modern classical. I'm looking for a sound which will give me the warm solid bass of dub but also the minutiae click house . Is the DB-790 up to the task or is it just another vid machine? btw showroom testing various machines is not an option as I live miles away from anywhere.

Also, I'm a unsure of how to get optimum sound output from my Powerbook. What's the best method of getting digital output from my Powerbook into the AV amp, like optical to optical? Is there a sound card I should be using? Also, I'd be interested to hear how other notebook users have output to their AV systems.

OK, summer has returned! Better get out while it lasts.

Your time and your patience, thank you.
    Adios,

cYs

2. boab_is

boab_is

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can vouch for the 790, excellent in stereo, good for analog sound, and very precise with digital sources too

you should be able to connect optical to optical from the G4, or at worst, headphone to RCA

3. digitalsafari

digitalsafari

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    You can use a M-Audio Sonica one of their other USB or Firewire interfaces for optical out.

Edirol also do a simple USB to Optical out adaptor.

4. MagicBoy

MagicBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    There's been a bit of a debate over the stereo performance of the STR-DB790 depending on where you read. What HiFi merely thought it good for an AV Amp in the price bracket, Hifi Choice did a blind test with AV and stereo amps at various price points and the Sony came out favourably in blind listening tests. Do a search back on the forums for the older discussions and a link to a PDF of the HiFi Choice article.

I'm not gonna pretend to be any expert on this stuff, but I'm very happy with mine (well my ears are). Loads of power, and stereo and multichannel performance beyond my expectations. I can think of far worse things to spend £230 on.

I mainly listen to various bits of electronica and acousticy rock. I'm not that picky and listen to all sorts of music apart from processed horrid pop - as long as I like it I don't care. The Sony seems very neutral - doesn't seem to [prefer one type of music.

Improvements? - well the settings menus are a bit indecipherable unless you have the manual handy so an on-screen display would be welcome on the next model. Composite to S-Video upsampling and a second co-axial digital input would be nice as well.