• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

PowerBook G4 - any good?

melmorc

Ok have been looking at this as seen one advertised.

It's the PowerBook G4 12-inch with 512mb ram and 1.5ghz processor.

It's running OS 10.4.11

Also included is an iSight webcam.

Mainly looking to use it for iTunes and surfing - Any good and what's a decent price to pay please?

Any constructive (and quick!) advice much appreciated. I have iPad and iPhone and just want to see what this is like. As it's only 12", could I connect it to my separate monitor?

norealplan

Distinguished Member
The PowerBook only goes up to OS 10.5, so if you're running iOS 7 on your iPhone and iPad (which I assume you are) then you're not going to be able to connect them to it via iTunes (iOS 7 requires 10.6 or higher.)

Price wise, I'd have a look at the completed listings on eBay and see what they went for.

melmorc

Many thanks SeedyR. WhatS the next (cheapest!) MacBook/PowerBook/iMac) that would enable me to run itunes with my devices (yes on ios 7.1) and surfing? Any ideas please?

Ta

CamFire

Distinguished Member
For a MacMini, try the 2009 Intel C2D (with nVidia GPU). For a Macbook, the late 2008 aluminium unibody will suffice - but beef it up with a SSD and more RAM. For a iMac, the 2008 models make the cut but I suspect you may find some affordable 2010 i3/i5 models. All these run the latest OS - and the most updated iTunes.

MartinPickering

I'm typing this on a PowerBook G4, 1.67GHz, 2GB SDRAM, OS10.4.11, 250GB HDD.
I think it's the fastest PowerBook made and it feels a little sluggish compared with my
MacBook Pro 2.7GHz i7, 16GB SDRAM, OS 10.9.2, 500GB HDD but it was a LOT cheaper (off eBay).

However, it IS usable apart from with You-Tube (and similar) due to the fact that it runs an early version of "Flash Player". However, as stated above, it's totally incompatible with iOS7 so I can use it only with my iPod Classic.

lukmek

I got one 12" from Ebay at £40
it is ok as a surfer net machine
I can also watch BBCiplayer on demand netflix etc.
have a search on ebay, mine got 120gb hd

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom