Power usage in standby and using a remote controlled socket

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by COUGHCOUGH, Sep 20, 2007.

1. COUGHCOUGH

COUGHCOUGH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a 50" sammy. the 1080i one not the p.

Unlike my old crt it doesn't have a physical power button, just a standby one instead. I used to turn it off at the manual plug every night to save power usage but with my new tv you can't do this unless you either turn it off at the plug or unplug the power lead.

How much power will it use in standby? Is it blown out of all proportion by the green fingered evangelists?

Also I have a set of those remote controlled sockets. I have lights etc linked up to them to turn on and off via the remote. I was going to use one of those for my tv but I heard that its not recommended with more complex electrical goods. Is this true and would it do any damage to my plasma if I used one with it?

thanks in advance!

2. jon_c0

jon_c0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    The issue here has probably been blown out of proportion by someone or other, but then that conclusion really depends on your set; the manual should tell you what the draw is in standby. For comparison, I know that the latest Pioneer's draw around .3W in standby i.e. next to nothing. From looking at my own equipment, I found the thing drawing the largest amount in standby was my HTPC, at 6W, but then (a) this isn't much and (b) there's a reason it needs to be in standby - to awake for recordings.

In general, I'm quite sceptical of standby savers for anyone with moderately recent equipment - there's a related thread here, that might be of interest, particularly one of the later posts that speculates on how the percentage savings figures might be calculated :). "Standby outrage" seems to be a particularly popular bandwagon to jump on at the moment, along with the recent misjudged and ill-informed "shock horror" at general plasma power usage...all very odd.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    It's not odd, it's just the usual knee jerk, lack of real info so typical of the UK press. Your standby consumption will be very low, less than 1 watt I fully expect, but check the manual. It will cost you less than 50p a year to have it on standby.

4. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +593
    Is it really that low MAW? always thought it would be much more than that.

i assume its best to leave the screen in standby than keep turning it off at the switch?

Dal

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    My bill here says 8.67p per KwH. Let's do the maths. The standby figure really really is that low, my Fuji is 0.4w, PH panels are 0.3w, Vieras 0.4w, Samsung are unlikely to be much different, they make a lot of the chips the others use FGS! Let's make it 1 to make things easy. 0.001Kw, x 365 x 24 = 8.76Kwh, oh dear, it's nearly 70p, sorry guys, poor guess. But I still reckon it's about .4w in the real world, so my 50p is actually pretty good.

6. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +593
    Thats really handy to know and now i dont feel so bad about leaving it in standby. great guess :thumbsup:

Dal

7. COUGHCOUGH

COUGHCOUGH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yeah thanks for the replies and thats good news. The uk seems to have an environmental chip on its shoulder at the moment despite the commercial sector where thousands of offices nationwide are powered up 24/7 yet they tell you to turn your tv off instead of standby.

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Years ago, standby mode did use lots of power. PC monitors led the way, now the technology is incorporated into flat TVs, which grew out of commercial displays, just like the Panasonic panels lots of folk use as a TV display still. They must meet energy star standards, they just carried it over to TVs