Power transformer for Japanese av receiver

Piterpan35

Novice Member
Reaction score
Dear forum members,

One question! I am in Japan at the moment and I have found a Yamaha receiver which I want to buy(Rx s601). The issue is that I would like to use it in Germany and yesterday the colleague from japan said due to the 100 V that all the electrical equipment work with in Japan, I would need a transformer in order to be compatible for the 230v for Germany. Then he showed me some transformers that weight 10 kilos each and I am wondering:
Is he right?
When I need a transformer is there something more light you would recommend that I could buy when I am back in Europe?

Thank u in advance,
Alexandra
Ps obviously the reason why I would prefer to buy the receiver from japan is that is half priced in comorison to Germany

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Why not simply buy the receiver in Europe? The Yamaha RXS601 isn't exclusive to Japan and is available in Europe.

Why not simply buy the receiver in Europe?.
Ps obviously the reason why I would prefer to buy the receiver from japan is that is half priced in comorison to Germany
Mind, the OP is forgetting the import duty and VAT applicable on bringing such a device back from Japan into the EU which is likely to reduce any cost saving a fair bit.

Mind, the OP is forgetting the import duty and VAT applicable on bringing such a device back from Japan into the EU which is likely to reduce any cost saving a fair bit.

Plus the cost of the step down transformer which isn't that much, but still an additional price to pay and an inconvenience to accommodate.

You can get the receiver for about £300 here so the savings aren't going to be vast even if he manages to buy one for half its European price.

Last edited:
having done this for a long time the other factor is the constant hum of the transformer in your room. not an issue when in use but it's always there

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom