Power Surge Protection - Is it needed?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by OnionBoy, Jan 4, 2007.

1. OnionBoy

OnionBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this sounds like a numpty question but I'm new to the whole plasma thing and have just ordered in my Pio 507XD.

The thing is, a few people have said you will need some sort of power surge protection on the supply to the 507. Is this true ? I would have thought they would have built in something to the unit which would allow you to have straight mains supply going into it.

I obviously don't want to risk damaging my new plasma, so has anyone got any info on this as I'm not to good on this electrical stuff.

cheers
    :confused:

2. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    All my electronic equipment is protected with mains surge protection and emi suppression. It can make a difference with things like central heating switches etc and can't do any harm. Why take the chance? they're not much more expensive than a standard mains adaptor (at least when you think of the price of what you plug nto them).

3. big rd

big rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    have a look at the belkin pure av its well made does the job and is cheap in compparison to other makes.i found it made the picture on my crt better and a mate who had a problem with fridges dishwashers ect tried mine and it helped no end. belkin also give cover to anything pluged in.

4. njp

njp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    It's not a numpty question at all. Every now and again I try to research if surge protectors actually do anything that is worth doing. My tentative conclusion each time is that they do not, and that they are mostly promoted as an easy way for stores to boost their profit margins (see also: Monster Scart cables). However, I am loathe to give a definitive answer on the subject, so if it gives you peace of mind I am not going to try to dissuade you!

I do not have surge protectors on any of my equipment.

5. Steve-O 2007

Steve-O 2007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Never owned a Surge protector in my life and never had a problem...

6. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Would not dare connect my AV gear to the mains without at least some basic anti-spike/surge protection. Even an £12 anti-surge plug, plugged into a nearby empty socket is better than nothing.

7. njp

njp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Why do you believe that?

8. wunduk

wunduk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This is worth repeating as I couldn't agree more. All switch mode power supplies of any quality include surge protectors. Of course, adding another one won't do any harm, and may help with a surge large enough to destroy the built-in surge protector. But then it won't help with a surge large enough to destroy the built-in surge protector and the one you have added. And, of course, never going outside because you might get run over by a bus may also be a strategy worth considering.

I can't imagine these "guarantees" offered by the companies that sell surge protectors are anything more than a marketing exercise. I bet if you read the small print it will be so difficult to claim successfully (and I bet it's not new for old) that people won't bother.

Think about it - manufacturers will make sure that their equipment is well enough protected that they do not get significant guarantee claims caused by power surges. It is not in their interest to do otherwise.

9. njp

njp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    It may even be worse than that. The surge "protector" may in fact be overwhelmed by a transient that the internal protection would survive. In extremis, a poorly specified surge protector may overheat and burn. And as you rightly point out, a sufficiently large transient will take out the lot anyway.